Greetings,

I want to thank everyone who responded to my call for advice concerning my
problems with the school district here and my daughter's placement.  AOL was
having line problems, and my account could not be accessed for several days.
Also, somehow,  Several response I had saved for answering have disappeared
from the mailbox.  Another family member could have deleted them, but nobody
is admitting it.

I decided not to send my daughter back to her Grampa (my dad) in Lake View,
NY.
At 85, he is not up to the level of supervision she needs.  Also, she has him
wrapped around her finger (I can't believe that this is the same man who
raised me; I'm beginning to believe the alien abduction stories).  Also, I'd
miss her.

My daughter is resistant to my attempts to even help her with her homework,
so the home schooling option would probably only succeed in one of us ending
up in the headlines (Book Thrown at Librarian After Murder...).

So, last week I enrolled her in what had been described as "the worst school
in the area."  I spent three mornings there, and I can only assume that the
people who told me that were misinformed.  The halls are quieter, and the
students better behaved than those of the suburban, upper-middle class school
we left in NYS.  Also, I just got good "vibes (I'm dating myself here)" from
the teachers and special ed faculty.
In addition, she seems to like it there, and has made a few friends
already--another thing she would have been denied with home schooling.  Also,
the SLMS there worked part time for the public libraries this past summer, so
Niki can go to her if there's a problem, and she can get in touch with me.

Of course, I will continue to monitor the situation closely, and keep my
fingers crossed.  Thank you again for all who wrote offering compassion and
advice.
It was so comforting to know that I have this caring extended "family" to
turn to
and learn from.

Dawn Sardes
Teen Services Librarian I