We went around this block last year, as I recall. My comment then -- and now
-- is, let's be more active in our union. I can understand a situation where
there has never been a librarian -- there has always been an aide, but what
really mystifies me is how our union can stand (sit?) by and watch a
professional position being downgraded to classified. How long would they
sit still if English of Math (or ANY other) teacher was replaced by an aide?
(not that that is even legal -- but maybe the law should extend to all
academic disciplines???)

Now, before I get flames from aides, don't misunderstand me. My feeling is
that aides ought to be _added_ to the library staff as assistants, but not
as replacements. My aides (and all our district aides) are fantastic people.
I love them! I couldn't get along without them -- but I'm not willing to
give them my job! (actually, about 20 years ago, I was replaced by an aide!)

On a related topic, I'm sure there will be people who will bring up the
problems with budgets, economics, wringing of hands, don't be so naive, etc.
That's the reality of education they'll tell us. But on a more philosophical
note, here we are the richest, largest, most powerful nation that has ever
existed in the 10,000 years of recorded history (apart from a few Arab
emirates). On top of that, we are at an economic peak (so they tell us). We
have never been more prosperous in our _own_ history (so we are told). With
that in mind, if we, with all this present wealth, cannot afford to pay for
education now, the question I'd like answered is -- when?

To quote the Red Queen: "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today"

Garry Jantzen, Librarian
Marshfield High School Library
Coos Bay, OR 97420
N7SBG