I agree with the Language Arts teacher and the use of the books on tape with
the print book.  Students (and adults) are usually visual, auditory or
tactile learners (or a combination of each).  We have many students who are
auditory learners and need tapes and we have many students (even blind
students) who are visual learners--believe it or not--and we must create
ways to make words tactile or "full of visual clues."  Many of our LD
students have a great ability to successfully take AR tests from tapes but
cannot read print (or braille).  We understand that comprehension is a part
of the process in the AR testing--with reading being the primary objective,
of course.  However, it seems that with some students a combination of the
book formats not only encourage the student to participate, but also allow
them to begin the process of comprehending what is read or being read aloud.

I have no problem with students listening to tapes or even being read aloud
to by an adult or others.  We don't usually allow students test on books
that have been read aloud to them but we do allow students to use tapes
alone and test because they may never be able to "read" print (or any other
format, such as braille).

If the student is on an IEP, I would highly suggest that the use of tapes be
written into the program plan in the Language Arts class.  If not, I would
certainly speak with the parents about the studies relating to students who
"listen" to books and the students' ability to sometimes comprehend the
materials much easier than reading it themselves.

Good luck!  This is a tough one, especially when parents refuse to accept
the fact that their child should be allowed to access materials in
alternative formats---we have parents of blind children who don't want their
kids to learn braille--that's sad because the child is functionally
illiterate.  I'd rather a child listen, comprehend and understand how to
formulate ideas based upon what is heard and studied, than to have those
students who can read beautifully but never understand a word that they have
read.

Shonda Brisco
LMS
Oklahoma School for the Blind