Netters:

Julia Steger shared: "This week I paired Robert Sabuda's "Twelve Days of
Christmas" with "The Twelve Dogs of Christmas" for my 4th-6th grade classes
and it went very well.  I believe 4th grade enjoyed it the most." -Julia
Steger, Librarian, Clifton Forge Elem Schools East and West, Clifton Forge
VA  <spanutr@CFW.COM>

I have been reading Jan Brett's version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas"
(gorgeous illustrations of course!) and noticed that on each two-page
spread there was a seasonal greeting, but each in a different language.
They corresponded to the "gift" the true love gave - in French for the
French Hens, for example. I emailed Jan and she was so gracious about
listing the languages used: English, Italian, French, Walloon (Belgium),
Polish, Norwegian, Russian, German, Hungarian, Scottish, Spanish, and
English. (this may not be the correct order, but it's very close).

However, I forgot to ask her for the TRANSLATIONS of each of the greetings.
If we have any multi-lingual folks out there, I will gladly compile a hit.

The kids from kindergarten through third grade are really enjoying it. As I
read each spread I point out all the unusual things such as plum pudding,
badgers, bagpipes and kilts. Most of our kids come from Hispanic
backgrounds and may not be familiar with traditional American or English
holiday customs.

I just wish that Jan's books were available in "Big Book" format, along
with several of Steven Kellogg's - they have so much detail to share!

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy - a K-8 public school focusing on
   the Visual and Performing Arts, and Technology
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us
home email: shatz@lightside.com