On 2 Dec 99, at 10:28, Jeannie Winters <wintersj@TEN-NASH.TEN.K12.TN.US> wrote:

> Does anyone know what "lammis" means?  In _A Day No Pigs Would Die_, a
> lammis table is mentioned.  A teacher was wanting to know what lammis
> meant.  I can't find the word anyhere!

If the word is 'lammas' or 'Lammas' rather than 'lammis'; it's
an old European holiday, sometimes also called Lughnassadh.
The "loaf-mass" was celebrated on August 1st, honoring the
beginning of the harvest season.

The Red Letter Day Calendar says the following about Lammas
at (http://www.almanac.com/redletter.0899/rl1.html) :

--
Kathryn Frech, Librarian
Seton Catholic Central H.S.