Greetings All,  Just a quick comment on the Library Atmosphere strand that
was going on a while back (sorry, I've been behind on my listserve reading.)
Some information being shared with teachers about brain-compatible education
(especially by those who follow the Kovalik ITI model) recommends
"decluttering" the classroom and using fewer posters, etc.  Nothing against
natural lighting though.
                    The emphasis is on creating a home-like atmosphere which
creates an "absence of threat" environment.  They point out that most of us
decorate our homes in a way that is color coordinated (two main colors with
accents), where artwork is framed and displayed, lamps for softer lighting
are used,  etc.  They suggest the same approach to the classroom.  There is
also an emphasis on only displaying/posting items that are directly related
to what is being taught during that specific time.  (immersion in the
subject).  They encourage keeping clutter to a minimum (to help students with
concept of organization as well as to minimize distractions.)
                    Now how does that apply to the library-- I tried this
year to incorporate some of these approaches, but found it very hard to
follow the whole philosophy.  I did bring in lamps.  I tried to use just one
or two colors for my lettering, but my walls are still pretty full.  I did
try to focus my displays on what I was going to be teaching this year.  One
whole wall above the shelves is about Information Literacy Standards, another
is about the Lifelong Guidelines and LifeSkills (See Kovalik, ITI, the
Model).
                    However, I still put books up for display and feature
displays of student work.  I still decorate for seasons, just not as much.
And I try to keep my miscellaneous clutter confined to my office (which is
why I can't get through it most days!)  I agree that our media centers need
to be warm and welcoming; maybe we just need to watch that we aren't
overwhelming too.

Sherry S. Paul, LMS
Charles H. Kelly Elementary
Boone County, KY