My request for help in this area has provoked quite a
few replies, including several asking for a hit, so
here it is;
I asked (more or less)
I'm posting this request on a few listserves, so
> please excuse cross-postings. A staff memeber who
will
> be running a program that requires students to use
> heaphones on computers is concerned over possible
> health risks involved. She is looking for some sort
of
> protection that can be placed between the headphone
> and the users hair and ears. Does anyone know if
such
> a product exists, and if so were do you get and at
> what cost? Is such a problem a concern in other
> schools? (our music teachers who are the only others
> in the school using headphones don't seem worried).
> Are there alternative methods of protection such as
> disinfectant spray? Any help on this will be
> appreciated.
..we just wipe with rubbing alcohol...students have a
pile of cotton
balls
and do it themselves.

One important improvement we made was storage!  A
gallon sized baggy
for
each headphone keeps those pesky cords from tangling,
makes pick-up
easy
and passing them out a breeze.
For health reasons, we use headphones that can be
wiped with alcohol to
disinfect.  They are more expensive that those that
fit into the ear
via
foam ear pieces.
Could they bring their own in and plug them into the
speakers?  That is
what
we do.  I can't imagine a student today that doesn't
have a walkman of
some
kind.
We use headphones with our computers occasionally and
have heard no
concerns about sharing. It is a boys' private
school......
We have been using headphones with computers for quite
a while now. It
is
necessary with our programs for K-6 which using a lot
of listening
strategies.
Up until now we have had no health problems, but we
have just had a
small
outbreak of headlice. We have suggested the children
place the
headphones
around their necks. It is still possible for them to
hear the computer
.---------------------------------------------------

        When our school installed a new computer lab
for the
elementary school students, the Parent Teacher
Organization
bought a personal set of headphones for each student.
The
headphones were very basic and inexpensive, about
$5.00.
Each headphone is kept in its own plastic bag.  The
classroom set is kept in a box which the teacher, or
students, carry into the lab when headphones are
needed.
Originally, the school district was going to charge
the
parents of each child for a set of headphones, but
this
would get expensive for families with several children
in
school.  So the Parent group dipped in their treasury
and
bought the headphones.
        And yes, there can be health issues.  We have
outbreaks of
head lice about once or twice a year.

our music teacher claims that she is not worried
because,
for example, lice would need heat to survive.  She
wipes
down the keyboards but not the head phones.
Our school just uses something like baby wipes on our
Title I computers
which have a string of children using them all day.
We were probably
more
concerned about lice.  Haven't had any problems that
we know of.

We use headphones in our computer lab all day.  After
each class, the
labb
assistant wipes down the plastic cushion on the
earpiece and the head
band
part with a disinfectant provided by our custodial
staff.

Our music children supply their own headphones.
Problems solved.
We looked into this, and were advised to get
disposable headsets, since
the
top of the head is as much of a worry as the ears
themselves.  The cost
was
too high for us. The covers were to be about $2.00
each. Hope this
helps,
Get them to bring their own - they all have discman's
or
radios with little earplugs that work in the computers
- or buy them
for
a couple of dollars from The Reject Shop or similar
and kids keep them.
I had parents worrying about nits which are a real
problem at this
school.
I asked various "experts" (nurse, pharmacist, Tandy -
for damage to the
headphones)
We now have a weak solution of tea tree oil and water
which we spray on
cloth and wipe over the earphones.
I feel it would be of minimal use as the earphones are
covered with
foam
plastic in which I'm sure the little critters could
hide but because I
am
seen to be doing something there have been no further
discussion.
I have headphones on the computers all the time.
Ask the students to bring their own headphones (3.5 mm
miniphone jack
type). You can provide a "Y-jack/splitter" to allow
two headphones per
PC.
Most electronic stores (Dick Smith, etc.) sell these
Y-shaped
splitters.
You could also buy an extension cable that is 1x3.5 mm
plug (sound card
connector) to 2x3.5 mm sockets (for students'
earphones). The cable
option
is dearer, but saves having to fiddle around at the
back of the PC
putting
the plug into the correct socket. It aslo means that
the students can
sit
at the correct distance from the PC when they are
using it.

we use headphones at our school in the library and
don't use any
protection.  I don't think there is any more risk of
them catching
things
from each other by sharing headphones, than by sharing
computers.
Maybe
the cleaners could wipe them over at the end of the
day.  Sounds like
it
might all be too hard, to me.

We have used a spray product.  I am not sure how
effective it is when
we
have continuous classes using the computer lab and
spray only at the
beginning or end of the day.
I have them on the lab in the library...no probs.
The computer lab has also just invested in them
all around. No probs there either
When we were using them we had a supply of cleaning
wipes available
We buy smooth plastic or vinyl headphones and
disinfectant wipes.  My
assistant wipes the headphones down at the end of the
day.  We also
keep a
box of wipes on the circulation counter and encourage
students to clean
headphones before using -- many do. We order the
disinfectant wipes
from
an office supply catalog where they're suggested for
cleaning shared
phones. I've never figured out the annual cost.
Several years ago I had responsibility for a language
laboratory where
this
issue raised its ugly head.

The principal asked exactly the same question which
you now pose.
General
feeling amongst the suppliers of Language labs at that
time was that
this
issue was not a problem and that they had not
experienced any problem
that time. (I did speak to several suppliers and
manufacturers).

I also spoke to the manager of a university lab and
received very much
the
same response.

Language Lab headphones at that time were very large,
and extremely hot
in
the humid summers of Queensland, so much so that
teachers rarely used
them
for a full 40 minute lesson.

Today's smaller and lighter headphones may affect
wearers differently,
but
if they do I haven't heard of problems.

Thanks again to all those who took the trouble to
reply, especially anyone I missed sending a Thank you
to when I recieved your message. I have already
passedon all your messages to the teacher concerned.

Jon Noble
Teacher Librarian
Glendale High School
Glendale, NSW, Australia