Dear Friends,
        Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for information on the
use of the vertical file in secondary schools.  We are building a new
building a new school and I needed to know  whether to allow space for a
vertical file.
        As I had many long answers, I have tried to summarize the answers.  Of
the 46 replies, only 7 had no vertical file at all.  Several said they
have a file but it is not used much.  Several also said that if they
were starting a new school, they would not have a file.
        Most answers indicate there is a need for a vertical file even though
we now have the internet and many periodical databases.  Most use the
file for local and state information, disease and drug phamplets, art
pictures and prints, author information, and teacher materials. Several
also said it was good to have the vertical file materials when all the
computers were in use.  It was suggested that cataloging the vertical
file material with the other materials increases its use.
        Keeping a vertical file is very labor intensive and requires a lot of
time to keep it current.  Some had aides; others used parent volunteers,
and student volunteers.
        The majority of the answers indicate that we should have a vertical
file, though it does not have to have traditional materials.

Thanks again,
Sue Williams
Librarian
St. George's Day School