I think you can get what you want and that there is upbeat stuff out there
too.  Danziger--Conford--Bauer--Cleary--Korman--Todd Strasser (who came to my
school and was fantastic), Rob Thomas--I know there are others but these off
the top of my head.  Also, kids this age like a little pain and sorrow, it
seems, or why are my Lurline McDaniel books falling apart? I really do like
Bel-Air Bambi, also. Also there is poetry for the brighter side of
things--Silverstein, Prelutsky, et al  But that's just me I could be
wrong.--mary ann

--
"Try curiosity."--Dorothy Parker