On 21/2/99 Sandy Pomerantz wrote:

>(3)  Reference as a third section containing factual and fiction works
>given Dewey classification numbers. I have a few large poetry anthologies,
>Reader's Encyclopedia, Books of Quotations (fact and fiction), and
>mythology and folklore references in the Reference Section as well as the
>usual factual references. And how about a copy of the Bible in the 200's
>section of Reference?

I've recently shelved all the reference apart from general encyclopedias in
the main classified sequence. So often before students forgot to look in
the reference for subject specific books. Now they are all together, and
while there is sometimes disappointment that they are not allowed to take
all the books out, at least they've found them.

I also try to avoid talking about 'non-fiction' as it seems really odd to
define something in terms of what it is not. So I talk about 'information'
books. Now I must get to grips with the fact that defining 'fiction' as
books from the imagination ignores the fact that I put the poetry with the
'information' books!

Elizabeth Bentley
Head of Learning Resources
Northbrook C of E School