Because the quality of information found by conventional search engines on the
WEB varies so greatly, I have created a free on-line information finding
resource called the Virtual LRC (HTTP://VIRTUALLRC.COM) that I would like as
many people as possible to use. The site recently was chosen the SUNLINK Link
of the Week ( http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu/links/links.html ). SUNLINK is
Florida's K-12 public school union catalog.

The main innovation incorporated into the site is a series of especially
configured HotBot search engines that search only pre-determined sites on the
Internet.  For instance, one searches full-text magazine sites (Pathfinder,
ZDNET, etc.).  Another searches selected literature and literary criticism
sites, and so on.  This helps librarians to help students access authorative
information instead of the mix of sometimes dubious sources to be found on the
WEB.

The Virtual LRC is heavily dependent on the use of javascripts.  It is best
viewed with Netscape navigator 3+ on either an IBM compatible or a MAC.  MIE
on an IBM compatible will work, but not on a MAC.  The AOL browser on a MAC or
an IBM compatible will NOT access the javascripts properly.

The Virtual LRC is in a continual process of development.  Any suggestions are
welcomed.  I hope you will consider linking it to your library resources page.

Thanks,
Dr. Michael Bell
michaelbel@aol.com
Dean of Learning Resources