Hi LM_NETters!
I've been busy this summer and I haven't been paying attention to all that
has been posted.  That being said, I've been working my way through the books
for boys list.  I am teaching reading in the afternoon, this is my 3rd summer
with a group of kids at one of the day camps here in Wilmington.  Last summer
I discovered that my boys' group loved to be read to.  They would sit through
some of the most unbelievable stories.  St. George and the Dragon, Robin
Hood, etc.  It had to have some adventure in it.  I had read a book by Jody
Lynn Nye, that was bound and marketed for adults, that I thought would be
perfect for this group of kids.  I sat on that thing for nearly a year.  I
started reading it to them last week, they are absolutely hooked.  They can't
wait to hear more.

The title is "Magic Touch" and the hero is a young black man (that captured
their attention immediately, most of my guys are black) whose grandmother
makes him go to this meeting.  (It sounded almost like an Amway meeting!)  It
turns out that this is the Fairy Godmothers Union, and yes, they do magic,
carry wands, and their credo is:  Every child deserves one miracle!  The
problem is that the Genies Union wants to merge, and they're not quite so
pure of heart.

This writer has worked with Anne Macaffrey, and has another series of books
about elves that live under a college library that I've also been entertained
by.  Her vocabulary is mature, but my boys don't seem to mind.  The kids I'm
reading it to are in grades 3-6.  Please consider including her books in your
list.  Enjoy the rest of your summer folks!  Marcy

Marcia Berbeza
Substitute
Christina School District
Newark,  DE  USA