Dear LM_Netters:

Much thanks to those of you who suggested some books for my colleague who
will be doing the water unit in 3rd grade!    I'll pass on the information
to that teacher.  Here's the list for those interested...

Jennifer Coleman
Media Center Coordinator
The Lamplighter School, Dallas, TX
bfc@prodigy.net

***
How about The Cay?
It also has a hurricane involved which might demonstrate the power of
water under certain conditions...
*********************************

Swift River Go. It is a picture book about how 3 town's in Massachusetts
were submerged to make a reservoir for drinking water in Boston, MA. It is a
book I use as an example of historical fiction. This really happened. Our
school is within driving distance of this reservoir. A couple of yrs ago the
newspaper had pictures of people in front of the reservoirthat had lived in
the towns as children 50 yrs ago.

This probably won't work for a read alone book but as a read aloud it might
be very fun.  Bill Brittain's _Coven Tree: The Three Wishes_ (I think that
is the title), has one of the wishes involving water -- it is very funny.
You can find the exact title by checking at http://www.loc.gov and
searching for Brittain.
You might suggest _Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Griff.
Reading level: ages 9-12
180 pages

This book is about Lily's summer (1944) at Rockaway Beach by the Atlantic
Ocean.  Reading the reviews at amazon.com doesn't show the importance the
ocean plays in this excellent novel.
**************************

You might consider The Waterman's Boy by Susan Sharpe.  The novel deals
with some boys who live on the Chesapeake, whose families depend on the Bay
for their living, who track down water polluters.
Please post a hit.  Good luck!

***********************************
George - the missing gator of gumbo limbo - ecology, water pollution
Byers - Down River (?) young boy and grandmother tied to rocking chair
forced to escape from Indian raid by raft
Hobbs - Down River (?) - the one about the Colorado River Raft Trip -
teenage appeal
(?) Rough Water - orphan boys - uncle who owns white water rafting company
Carter - Between a rock and a hard place - cousins on a coming of age canoe
trip

***************

These 3 titles aren't novels but some interesting poetry & illustrations
dealing with water and frozen water...they might fit your teacher's theme.

AUTHOR  Yolen, Jane.
TITLE   Water music : poems for children /
  Honesdale, Pa. : Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press, c1995.
  40 p. : col. ill. ; 23 x 26 cm.

-----------------------------------
TITLE      Once upon ice and other frozen poems /
     Honsedale, PA : Wordsong/Boyds Mills Press, 1997.
     1st ed.  40 p. : col. ill.; 23 x 25 cm.
-----------------------------------
 *I just love Locker's books!

AUTHOR  Locker, Thomas, 1937-
TITLE   Water dance
  San Diego, Calif. : Harcourt Brace & Company, c1997.
SUMMARY Water speaks of its existence in such forms as storm
        clouds, mist, rainbows, and rivers. Includes factual information
        on the water cycle.

 These were listed on our regional ILL database under the subject of
water-fiction...not familiar with them but perhaps your might find them
interesting.

AUTHOR  Speed, Toby.
TITLE   Watervoices
  New York : Putnam's, c1998.

SUMMARY Illustrations and descriptive text in the form of riddles
        present water in some of its many forms: morning mist, sprinkler
        spray, a thunderstorm, and a bedtime bath.

-------------------------
AUTHOR  Guthrie, Donna.
TITLE   Nobiah's well : a modern African folk tale /
  Nashville, Tenn. : Ideals Children's Books, c1993.

SUMMARY An African boy carrying home precious water for his family
        shares it with a succession of animals and eventually has his
        kindness repaid in an unexpected way.

2.  I just finished a book titled _White Water_ by P.J. Peterson.  I don't
know
if this would work for your teacher, but it is about a young man whose
father drags him on a white water rafting trip only for his father to get
injured on the trip and the young boy has to help them all survive.  It
would be a great reading level for 3rd grade.    Hope this helps a little
bit.

Thanks to all!