At the risk of starting this discussion all over again, I agree with
Joanne on all but one point....

** I've always felt that name and email address, or name and
institution (and email address)  were part of a hit, when names are
attached.  I feel that it gives me an anchor to the reply.  Many
times a HIT will include all replies, even when some are obviously
wrong (been there).  This allows the reader to make some judgment on
which replies might be different due to extra information not
available to others.

I do not expect to have to give permission to use my name,
institution and email address in a HIT.  That is explicit in the
request for a HIT.  However, Joanne is correct in that discretion
must be used when asking for controversial information and posting a
HIT.  And, I've never had information included in a hit  when I've
asked that it not be.

Dan Robinson
Indexing Services
H.W. Wilson Company
Bronx, NY
drobinson@hwwilson.com

On 22 Jul 99 at 6:45, Joanne E. Ladewig wrote:

> Netters:
>
> A "Hit" was recently posted which included the following question:
>
> "I didn't include names because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not. I
> would like to credit the people who responded so if someone would let me
> know what the protocol is on that, I would appreciate it!"
>
> We did discuss this a while ago, but I don't think we came to any unanimous
> decision. Most of us who post hits do include some reference (and thanks)
> to the contributors.

> And please DON'T include all the contributors' full "signatures" unless it
> is relevant (they are offering assistance or more information specifically
> related to the "Hit," etc.)

**AND you have the contributors' permission to do