Netters:

A "Hit" was recently posted which included the following question:

"I didn't include names because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to or not. I
would like to credit the people who responded so if someone would let me
know what the protocol is on that, I would appreciate it!"

We did discuss this a while ago, but I don't think we came to any unanimous
decision. Most of us who post hits do include some reference (and thanks)
to the contributors.

In some "Hits" I've posted, I've listed all the contributors in a group by
their first names at the very beginning of the "Hit" but I don't
necessarily list them in the same order as their contributions appear, for
privacy's sake. In other "Hits" I've put just their initials immediately
after their contributions. I have not yet received any complaints from any
of my contributors.

When I RESPOND to a "Target:"
I always specify if I DO NOT want my name or any other form of
identification (such as school name) included with my contribution; or if I
am responding ONLY to the requestor but DO NOT want my contribution (or do
not want certain parts) added to a "Hit". In this case I state: "FOR YOUR
EYES ONLY - DO NOT POST THE FOLLOWING TO THE LIST" (or whatever wording is
appropriate). This would obviously be in the case of personal advice or the
relating of a personal incident or situation which applies to the inquiry.
I am happy to report that no one on LMNet has ever disregarded my directive
in these situations!

The important thing to remember is that LMNet is an international listserve
with over 10,000 members and who-knows-how-many-others who access the
archives or monitor the list for their own reasons.

Please consider this as a guideline:
If the replies you receive contain "personal" rather than generic current
situations, or relate "personal" incidents of the past, OF A "NEGATIVE"
NATURE, DO NOT identify the person who is the contributor, or anyone else
mentioned in the reply!

For example, if a responder writes: "My principal (or board member, PTA
president, co-worker, etc.) is/did (something really rude, or illegal, or
really stupid, etc.). . . " - DON'T identify the responder OR the
principal, etc. DON'T mention the school or district, etc.

What they write may well be true, but there's a good chance someone who
knows the principal (or board member, or PTA president, or co-worker, etc.)
will read it and tell them! It would create a lot of animosity and perhaps
even lead to being fired! Or sued!

On the other hand, replies containing genuine compliments would not fall
into this catagory, and it's really a pleasure to see them posted, giving
credit where credit is due!

And please DON'T include all the contributors' full "signatures" unless it
is relevant (they are offering assistance or more information specifically
related to the "Hit," etc.) AND you have the contributors' permission to do
so - they may not want additional uninvited inquiries from dozens or
possibly hundred of members! They may value their privacy and not want
their identity or location posted in a public forum.

And please, DO edit appropriately when responses are long or repetitive -
we don't need to read every individual list of items. DO "clean up" the
"Hit" by eliminating the excess routing "tracings" from forwarded material
and any LMNet signatures at the end - the LMNet signature will
automatically reappear at the end of your "Hit" when you post it. And don't
forget the spell-check if you have one. If you don't, CAREFULLY re-read
your post before sending it.

Joanne Ladewig
Information Center Director
Fairgrove Academy
(a K-8 public school focusing on the Visual and Performing Arts, and
Technology)
La Puente, CA
jladewig@ns700-1.enet.hlpusd.k12.ca.us     (all lower case)
home email: shatz@lightside.com