Many people asked me to post a HIT, so although this didnt start  out as
a TARGET, here goes:
(The organization may wonder why there is sudden influx of MARC
downloading!) (I'm sorry, this was never sent out!)

 Original query:
>I may have found a place to download MARC records; however, it will not
>work with my OS (I use an iMac, Mac OS 8.5.1. with Netscape Communicator,
>4.5). If anyone is willing to try it and see if it works, I'd appreciate it.
>
> When I click on Download MARC records, I get an error message about an
>octet stream and plugins.
>
> Go to
>http://www.bccls.org
>
>Click on search catalog  , select English interface from the drop down
>menu, and then BEGIN.
>
> Once you've located a record, click on MARC display (at the bottom of the
>screen) . Once it appears in MARC format, there is an option (again at the
>bottom of the screen) to DOWNLOAD MARC.
>
>Sorry, I've been unable to check it, but it looks promising. Perhaps
>someone with a PC could try one and report back to us?

it works ok with a pc and IE...i haven't tried it with netscape...but i
will.  i also dunno how i m going to find the files after i've logged
off...but --we'll see. <g>
--------------------
    All  I got when I clicked on MARC download was a single string of
numbers that bore no resemblance to the MARC but I was able to print the
displayed MARC.  It would be quite easy to copy from the printed sheet.
By
the way, I was working with an IBM Aptiva, running on Windows 98, with
Explorer 5.
----------------
I tried your site and downloaded a record without any trouble. I then
imported it into Mitinet. The download goes very quickly. Hope you are
able
to use this site with your Mac. I only use PC's so I am sorry I can't be
much
help.
-----------------
i tried to download the MARC records on my dell...it downloads okay, but
it
needs to be saved in an application software that can read it.  after it
saved
you cannot open it.  if you hear from anyone who does this successfully,
please
post a hit...it is a wonderful resource!
------------------
The octet-stream just means that you're getting a file that NS can't
undo by itself.  For example A binhexed file will give you the octet
stream message if you don't have a program that can interpret it
linked to NS.   Save the file to your hard drive, accepting whatever
name the program wants to use.  Then see what will open it and see if
it's usable.

I have a feeling that you're getting an electronic MARC record which
has to be reconstructed.  A z39.50 program will do this on the fly.
LC has a set of programs call 'marcmaker' and marcbreaker'.   They
will create an electronic marc formatted record and take one apart
and make it readable. (but they're only for the pc <groan>)

You might try feeding the  marc download directly into your OPAC
program.  It just might take it as is and use it to create a catalog
record.
--------------------
Thanks so much for that site.  I am in the process of a complete
retrospective conversion, and I have tried this site and it works great!
I'm
using a PC and Winnebago Spectrum for Windows.  All I had to do was
download
the record I wanted and then choose input from the Materials menu clicked
on
the saved record and Winnebago did the rest.  It's great.  You have saved
my
library about $12,000!  We were just about to buy retrospective conversion
for our holdings. Thanks so much, again.
-------------------
I think I was successful.  It worked rather well.  Is it legal?
Shouldn't I
have to pay for that record:)?
-------------------
BCCLS is a consortium in Bergen County, NJ, using DRA.  The download
record function is probably meant for the consortium and DRA users.
Using Netscape for Windows, I was able to download a MARC record to the A
drive, but nothing I have could read it.

There is a product called Webcat, which sells for $595 but has a free
demo, you might want to try.
-------------------
I tried it this morning. The first time I got a Proxy message. The
second time (10 minutes later) I got through. It's a great site. Hope
this helps. Good luck!
-------------------
I tried out the site you suggested for MARC records and it worked great!
work with a PC and Winnebago software.
------------------
I am able to download it.  When I then try to open it in Explorer, that
is when I need to associate file types .mrc with some program to read
them.  I'm not sure what program would work for this.  But I got a MARC
record that I could copy!
----------------------
I tried this site since I am taking my final class on MARC records.  It
works
great with my PC.  I actually used two of the records for may class
project I
am working on tonight.  It looks like a valuable site for cataloging.  I
will
pass this URL on to my classmates.  Hope you can find a PC to use for the
records you will need.

Suzanne Weinheimer, Librarian
South Mountain Elementary School Library
444 West South Orange Avenue
South Orange, NJ 07079
1-973-378-7848 / FAX: 1-973-564-9633
email: suzanne@whatexit.com