Hello, Netters,

A friend and I are in our second mini semester of the MLIS program through
the University of Texas at Austin. One of our class assignments for our
Children's Lit. class is to present a short paper on current issues in school
libraries. We have decided to present a paper on State Book Awards. We know
that here in Texas we have the Bluebonnet Award and in Oklahoma (my home
state--yeah!) they have the Sequoyah Award. If any of you from other states
have awards, we would love to hear from you. Some questions we have regarding
these awards are:
     1.  How did the award get its name?
     2.  How are books nominated for this award?
     3.  Who selects the award-winning book each year?
     4.  Do the children in your state get to vote for their favorite book?
If so, how and
          where is this done?

We have been monitoring this site since early in June when we began our first
semester of study and have found this forum to be most helpful. As future
school librarians, we find it comforting to know that there is a group of
professionals with experience and advice about every aspect of the job on
which we can call. If any of you can help with the questions above, we will
be most grateful. Please send your responses directly to me at the address
below.

Thanks so much for your time and help!
Mary K. Olzawski
MKAT0@AOL.COM   (That's a zero after the "T", not an "o.")