I'll share an actual event that happened to me recently. If you choose to
share this with your class, please don't give any reference to names or
location.

A freshman girl with some learning and personality difficulties has become
one of those"special" kids, and spends much time in the library pretending
to study, but actually just asking for attention. Some weeks ago she came
to school rather teary-eyed. I asked her what was wrong, and she told me.
She also showed me some bruises on her lower back and told me about more on
her legs. I told her that I had to report it to the counselor, and I took
her to the counselor. She saw the rest of the bruises, and agreed that it
needed to be reported. The girl was upset with herself for mentioning the
incident, but we assured her that she did the right thing. This one has a
happy ending: the social worker knows the family well, and was able to
counsel with the father. There have been no repeat happenings, and all is
going well there.

Could the one incident have grown into a pattern? Yes. Would it have? Who
knows? This one, at least, was stopped before a habit got started or anyone
was seriously injured. That's why I reported the incident. This student
needed comfort, which she got, and some adult to tell her that her father
overreacted. I don't see any problem with that. Librarians aren't supposed
to just sit back and let anyone do anything they want. Adults are supposed
to look out for children at all times.

Hope this helps.

Nancy Westendorf, Librarian
Community School 14