The following are recommendations for class sets of dictionaries.  Hope it
helps....  Phyllis
Thanks to those who responded!

>Last year we purchased new dictionaries mostly for the purpose of primary
(grades 1 & 2) and special ed students that have a hard time using a
"standard dictionary".  We called World Almanac Education(1-800-321-1147)
(www.worldalmanac.com)..  Told them we were looking at dictionaries.  We
had already selected several we thought we were interested in and World
Book made their suggestions.  World Book sent us 6 different ones for us to
view, we kept the one we wanted and sent the rest back.  For the primary
age we selected the American Heritage First Dictionary (RZ00433 at a cost
of 12.99 ea. for quanities of 15 or more)
>It's a really nice basic beginner dictionary.  The other room set we have
is a Webster's New Ideal Dictionary.  We have had these for about 8 or 9
years. They also were purchased from Workd Almanac Education.  In checking
around they gave us the best deal on the quanitity of books that we wanted
to purchase.  Good luck on making your selection.

*       *       *       *       *       *       *       *

World Almanac

*       *       *       *       *       *       *       *

For middle school and above, I feel the
American Heritage dictionary, which is available in a sturdy paperback, is
far superior to the Webster's, which was the standard when I was in high
school and college in the '60s and '70s.  I am not familiar with what's
available for lower grades.

*       *       *       *       *       *       *       *

Do you have a recent World Almanac catalog?  They have had classroom sets of
almanacs for several years, and it seems like they might have added
dictionaries.

*       *       *       *       *       *       *       *

I recently priced dictionaries and found that Follett was the best value for
the ones we wanted.  They don't charge for shipping and that is a big help.

Media Coordinator                    ***    Choose a job you love    ***
Carrollton City Schools              ***       and you'll never      ***
202 Trojan Drive                     ***         have to work        ***
Carrollton, GA  30117                ***      a day in your life     ***
pmitchel@co.carrollton.k12.ga.us     ***********************************