Now for something more library related:

The Department of Corrections is finally letting me have a computer and the
software vendor that they have approved is Winnebago.  What I perceive may
be a problem is that I was told that Windows NT(which is what my computer
will have) does not run some DOS software.

Since I am only planning on getting the software  that will produce cards
and labels I am looking at either Winnebago PC Cardmaker or Mitinet/MARC.
When I called Winnebago last week the person there told me that Mitinet/MARC
would be out on Windows in April so over the weekend I e-mailed the
Mitinet/MARC people to confirm this and when I got to work today I had a
voicemail message from them saying that "No, it will not be out in a Windows
format for quite a while, but that it should run fine on Windows NT"(They
also want to know who at Winnebago I talked to!)

My questions to this group are:  Is there anyone out there using either
program in a Windows NT environment?  Are there any big advantages to
Mitinet/MARC over the Winnebago PC Cardmaker Software?  The cost for
Mitinet/MARC($399.) is almost twice as much as PC Cardmaker($219.) and I
have a limited amount of money for software.

Is there more of a problem than these people indicate and should I convince
the Department to let me have regular Windows 95?  Believe it or not the
Department has only recently started allowing 95 so don't everyone tell me
to ask for 98!  This is a computer that is only used by me and the concept
of an online catalog is a long way off in the prison environment!  I hope to
create a simple circulation system using the Corel Suite 8 that is standard
software!  Thanks in advance for all the good advice I'm sure I will have to
read tomorrow!

Heidi Rawson-Ketchum, Librarian
Camp Branch-Prison/Branch District-Public
Both in Coldwater, MI
rawsonkehl@cbpu.com

IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."