Dear LM Netters,
  I am very new to this listserv, but I neeDate: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:05:42 -0500
 power.
  I have inherited an extremely elderly and outdated elementary library
collection.  Two separate libraries (one jr. high, one elementary) were
merged several years ago. The present school is a K-4.
  Most of the collection is outdated, dilapidated, and inappropriate for
this age. I prepared a proposal for my principal citing _Information
Power_ guidelines for weeding.  I am facing a massive purge of the
collection, and then must update the computer records (80% of the
records were entered by author's last name and title only--but that's
another can of worms).
  Here's where you guys come in: I need some kind of statistics  about
non-fiction collection development to substantiate my request for
additional library funds.. I need to be able to say (once the weeding is
completed) that I need X number of books per child in the non-fiction
section to support the curriculum.  I know that Southern Assoc. of
Colleges & Schools old ruler was 10 books per child, but that was
overall.  Once I purge the non-fiction (all I can get done before
inventory), I'm afraid the easy & fiction sections will still comprise
far more than 10 books per child.
  Please help and advise. . .and did I mention that I need this
quickly?!? TIA, of course!

Renee F. Ward, librarian
wardr1@ten-nash.ten.k12.tn.us
Franklin Elementary School (K-4)
Franklin, TN

From: Linda Smith <ljsmith@clinton.k12.ok.us>
Subject: HIT: Pt.1-Mother's Day Craft ideas

Hi Group - Thanks to all who sent these ideas for my
daughter - she is truly
impressed and maybe will be more organized next year (at
least ask me sooner for help)

Mother's Day Craft Ideas

tear art pictures with poems and coupon books with an
in-class tea for
the mothers/grandmothers/other family members (we even sang
a song).
Thank you letters to moms are great or even cards .
Have them decorate a cute picture "frame" made of
cardboard.  Use buttons,
stickers, markers to decorate. The teacher could use
Polaroids of each student to fill the frame.  Or they could
put in a cute Mom's Day poem.
Easy, quick, age appropriate & I know as a mom I would
appreciate it!
STUDENT PHOTO IN A FRAME:
Cut out frames for 3x5 photos from tagboard.
Have students decorate frame with designs that tell
something about themselves. (When I did one to show 4th
graders an example, I drew baking implements, a guitar and
musical notes, books and pen and paper, a tent, etc... to
show my interests)

Take a photo of each student in the class doing "school
stuff" i.e. not
posed by a wall, but working at desk, chatting in hall with
friends, etc.

Laminate the photo in the frame, add magnet that you cut off
a roll of
magnetic strip (from craft store) and you've got a slice of
the child's life
to give to mom.
My son's 6th grade class made coupons in the computer lab
and the kids
got to fill in something they would give to Mom - like *good
for one
free car wash* or *good for 10 free hugs* with little boxes
at the
bottom. He had a good time formatting it in PrintShop Deluxe
and I'm
sure the Moms will appreciate them!
****************************
book marks?
******************
Here's one idea for a potpourri wall hanger.  You need a
small size
crochet hoop made of wood- I think I used 3" diameter.
You'll also need
some fabric cut in a circle slightly larger than the
diameter of your
hoop.  I used some leftover satin. You'll also need some
kind of "lacy"
fabric for your top layer but the openings can't be too
large.  Lay the
satin material on top of the bottom hoop.  Place a small
amount of
potpourri on the satin and then top with the lacy material
also cut in a
circle .  Place the top hoop over all and press down to
seal.  At
Christmas time you can buy lace panels with seasonal designs
and I have
used these.  These were put in a hoop about 12" in
diameter.  Not sure
what colors and styles you might find this time of year.
When I did
this years ago with a Sunday School class of third graders,
I had pink
satin and white lace.  If you like you can glue satin ribbon
around the
crochet hoop (using a hot glue gun) and fashion a hanger
from it also.
        You will probably need to experiment with the size
you cut the fabric
and lace circles as I don't remember how large they need to
be.  You
need to be able to securely fasten them with the top hoop
but you don't
want them sticking out the back side.
Get a recipe for paper. You should have it in a book or on
the internet
somewhere.  When you make the paper, put wild flower seeds
in it. Have the kids make cards from this paper. Then the
mom can plant the card and flowers will grow.
*************************
Buy ceramic tiles and there are two possibilities:
1. paint a scene or something appropriate (I think acrylic
paint, ask the art teacher).  These can be displayed on
plate easel.
2. put cork circles on the bottom and use as a
trivit....could just use decals to decorate.
*********************
Real easy
Cut out 2 flower patterns from felt, one with a circle in
the middle...the other one without....using a picture of the
student as the "center" of the flower glue the two pieces
together.  You could then attach a magnet and use on the
refrig etc.

Ultra easy
Develop a "coupon book" of things the student can give their
mother, such as, back rubs, not fighting with siblings, do
the dishes, watch whatever tv show you choose with no
complains, etc
**************************************
Find someone who has some grape vines (even available in the
wild). Make small grapevine wreaths -put tarp down -wet them
in a bucket as they bend easier. Add babies breath and a
small satin ribbon and wrap in tissue paper.  Tip: keep the
wreaths to about *" across and just put the babies breath at
the bottom on each side of the ribbon. I used very narrow
ribbon. The mothers really liked this.
*************************
They could also make a coupoin book with promises to do
special things for
mom--brainstorm ideas--wash dishes-prepare a bubble bath for
mom, etc.
*********************************
 One easy idea is just to buy a flat of flowers and let the
kids
individually plant them in the small clay pots which are
just a few
cents each.  Cost: the flowers, some potting soil and the
inexpensive
clay pots.  Very easy to plan and quick to do!
    They could each write a short poem and use Print Shop or
some
program to make a card with their poem as the verse.  I like
these
because you can keep them forever!
    You can make a picture frame or a pin with puzzle pieces
glued
together.  For the frame use popsicle sticks and glue the
puzzle pieces
on them to decorate it. For a pin just make a shape with the
puzzle
pieces, then glue it on a pin back--they are about  10-15
cents and you
can use old puzzles already on hand.