Colleagues,
        A couple of weeks ago I asked about 2 problems I have with Encarta
encyclopedia CD-ROM.
(1) Figuring out how many pages are in an article, and (2) Figuring out how
to print a selection from an article without having to perform a cut and
paste job to the word processing program. Several folks expressed an
interest in any HITS I was sent.
These were the few hits I received.  You tried, but they weren't a lot of
help. Thanks!
                                                Sandy P. in Philly

                ENCARTA ENCYCLOPEDIA PROBLEMS

The old version of encarta allowed you to highlight and then print
immediately to your word processor (just the highlighted area).  I haven't
been able to figure out how to do that in encarta 99.  So...I teach the
kids  to highlight, copy, minimize, open the word processor and then paste.
Then they should minimize the word processor , maximize encarta and be able
to go back and forth betweent the two programs.  Multitasking at its
best...they  learn to do this very quickly by 4th grade.  If someone gives
you a better
idea, please share!!

Hi!  I can't answer question #2 (although I'd sure like an answer to it...I
turned my back for a second & one of my 4th graders printed a 40-page
article on
jazz...twice!).  As for Question #1...whenever I highlight part of an
article on Encarta, when I go to print, I choose the option "Print
selection" and only
the highlighted part prints.  I don't have to go into ClarisWorks or
anything.  Hope this helps!  (I have Encarta 97).

{I haven't seen this option appear under file on my computer - Sandy}

Did you try to go to Print Preview?  It will show you page by page and you
can print the page that you want.  I'm assuming this works with Encarta.
It does with other programs.

"It's got to be the going not the gettin' there that's good." Harry Chapin
in song "Take the Greyhound"
"But then, you could go both ways!"  Scarecrow in movie "The Wizard of Oz"

Sandy Pomerantz, Librarian
Central East Middle School
236 E. Wyoming Ave.
Phila., PA 19120