Dear Y'all,  Our small school district has received big bucks via several
grants, part of which will finance a consortium venture with the public
libraries here.  We will be installing Ameritech's Horizon, creating a
union catalog, web-mounted.  We also have access to Pennsylvania's Power
Library products - EBSCO periodicals, an encyclopedia, SIRS, and the
Accuweather Photo Archives, all also on the web.  ALL of these are pc-only
products, and none of the vendors supports Macs at all. The server must be
pc, so there is no problem there. My concern=the district technology person
plans to use iMacs as clients in all our school libraries, with virtual pc
installed on each machine to make everything work.  I have done endless
hours of homework and have determined that the iMac is a low-end machine
not intended for this function, etc., and that this is not a good idea for
a variety of reasons, and presented my work to the people running this
show, to no avail.  My questions for this group are have you seen this
arrangement in use?  Will it really work, or should I continue to worry?
TIA
Ashley Robinson
axr11@scasd.k12.pa.us
Park Forest Middle School Library Goddess
2180 School Drive
State College, PA  16803-1198
voice:814/2375301x39  fax:814/2311194