----[snip]----second post----

>   My question is how do you feel about the continued value of the
use of microfiche when periodical literature is accessible through
many other sources?

Was anyone else struck by the coincidence of these two postings
from Nancy and Eileen appearing on the same afternoon?   Nancy
was having trouble finding some very old reviews on the Internet,
and Eileen was wondering about the value of retaining microfiche.
When people say they will discard microfiche for all things that are
currently available in full text, my thoughts focus on the word
"currently".  There is no guarantee that what is currently available
will always be so.  When we pay for a full text database, we aren't
paying to OWN the information, just to access what they allow us
to.  We keep microfiche from way back, and I'm not ready yet to
discard fiche because something is available for now on the
internet.  Our consortium has also been discussing this issue, and
we've decided not to decide---for now---about discarding fiche.
There is the problem with maintaining the machines, but for now
this material is too useful for us to drop with no assurance of
continued future access.  We also thought of the solution of
"archiving" the fiche at one school, and having the consortium
assist with the machine repair costs.  This might be the way to
go...

Shannon Acedo
Assistant Librarian
Marlborough School