------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BF27C7.1C84BEA0

Many thanks to all of you who responded to my first request about the
Curious George challenge. The parent asked that I look at the book, make my
decision, and let them know what I decided. I did give this much thought. I
used your comments and ideas to formulate my response to the parents. I
can't credit all who contributed to this, but let the credit go to the
community of librarians who participate in LM NET. Your thoughtful responses
gave me much to think about. I believe this my end here, but will keep you
posted if we actually get to the challenge point.

Dear (parents)
I appreciate your concerns, and indeed, gave the book a lot of thought. It
is important to constantly review what we have in our collection. It is a
process that is ongoing at Ashby Lee. I applaud your active participation in
your child's education.

Should we keep Curious George Gets a Medal in the library collection?

Consider why it is in the collection. The curious monkey and his friend in
the yellow hat have been favorites of children and teachers since they were
first published in the early 1940s. George's adventures with his bicycle,
kite, going to the hospital, or even riding in a rocket (that's what he gets
the medal for) are as exciting and fun for children to read today as they
were for their parents and grandparents.

What child can't relate to George's experiences? First and second graders
have a lot in common with the curious monkey. The world around them is full
of new and interesting things. There are many things to try and do,
sometimes with unpredictable results. It's part of growing up.

Then there is the Man in the Yellow Hat. Imagine him a teacher, parent, or
grandparent, any of the roles fit. He may get angry with George, he may
punish him, but he is there to guide George and to care for him. His love
for George is unconditional. He wants what is best for George.

Perhaps it is for these reasons that the Curious George books are so highly
recommended. The Elementary School Library Collection, a professional guide,
recommends the Curious George books as part of their classic collection.
Curious George Gets a Medal has been in the suggested list since 1957.

In the story, George's curiosity gets him in trouble again. He wrecks a
museum. He knows he's done wrong and feels very bad. "He felt so ashamed he
almost wished he were dead..."is the phrase on page 38. Suddenly the man in
the yellow hat comes in and saves George. On the next page, page 39, George
is selected to carry out an important experiment for the same museum. Just
nine pages later, it's the happiest day of George's life. George is a hero!

The figure of speech "He felt so ashamed he almost wished he were dead..."is
one that we might not want a child to use. It is one we probably use or at
least hear once a week. It is very descriptive of just how bad George feels.
He sees the consequences of his misbehavior. The happy ending just pages
later shows that bad times and bad feelings shall pass, things will get
better. George learns to keep on trying to do right. Rather than remove the
book for this phrase, perhaps we should use it to talk to our children about
the times we feel bad. It provides an excellent opportunity to teach
children that life has ups and downs but do not give up!

For these reasons, the professional recommendations and the overall
storyline and message, my decision is to keep the book in the collection. If
you would like to discuss this with me personally, I would be happy to meet
with you. Thank you for your interest and concerns. Remember the child who
reads, succeeds!

Herb Wilburn
hwilburn@shentel.net

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BF27C7.1C84BEA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.00.2721.2900" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#fff8e0>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D580564500-06111999>Many =
thanks to all=20
of you who responded to my first request about the Curious George =
challenge. The=20
parent asked that I look at the book, make my decision, and let them =
know what I=20
decided. I did give this much thought. I used your comments and ideas to =

formulate my response to the parents. I can't credit all who contributed =
to=20
this, but let the credit go to the community of librarians who =
participate in LM=20
NET. Your thoughtful responses gave me much to think about. I believe =
this my=20
end here, but will keep you posted if we actually get to the challenge=20
point.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN=20
class=3D580564500-06111999></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><SPAN class=3D580564500-06111999>Dear=20
(parents)</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>I appreciate your concerns, and indeed, gave the book a lot of =
thought. It is=20
important to constantly review what we have in our collection. It is a =
process=20
that is ongoing at Ashby Lee. I applaud your active participation in =
your=20
child's education. </P>
<P>Should we keep Curious George Gets a Medal in the library =
collection?</P>
<P>Consider why it is in the collection. The curious monkey and his =
friend in=20
the yellow hat have been favorites of children and teachers since they =
were=20
first published in the early 1940s. George's adventures with his =
bicycle, kite,=20
going to the hospital, or even riding in a rocket (that's what he gets =
the medal=20
for) are as exciting and fun for children to read today as they were for =
their=20
parents and grandparents. </P>
<P>What child can't relate to George's experiences? First and second =
graders=20
have a lot in common with the curious monkey. The world around them is =
full of=20
new and interesting things. There are many things to try and do, =
sometimes with=20
unpredictable results. It's part of growing up.</P>
<P>Then there is the Man in the Yellow Hat. Imagine him a teacher, =
parent, or=20
grandparent, any of the roles fit. He may get angry with George, he may =
punish=20
him, but he is there to guide George and to care for him. His love for =
George is=20
unconditional. He wants what is best for George.</P>
<P>Perhaps it is for these reasons that the Curious George books are so =
highly=20
recommended. The Elementary School Library Collection, a professional =
guide,=20
recommends the Curious George books as part of their classic collection. =
Curious=20
George Gets a Medal has been in the suggested list since 1957.</P>
<P>In the story, George's curiosity gets him in trouble again. He wrecks =
a=20
museum. He knows he's done wrong and feels very bad. "He felt so ashamed =
he=20
almost wished he were dead..."is the phrase on page 38. Suddenly the man =
in the=20
yellow hat comes in and saves George. On the next page, page 39, George =
is=20
selected to carry out an important experiment for the same museum. Just =
nine=20
pages later, it's the happiest day of George's life. George is a =
hero!</P>
<P>The figure of speech "He felt so ashamed he almost wished he were =
dead..."is=20
one that we might not want a child to use. It is one we probably use or =
at least=20
hear once a week. It is very descriptive of just how bad George feels. =
He sees=20
the consequences of his misbehavior. The happy ending just pages later =
shows=20
that bad times and bad feelings shall pass, things will get better. =
George=20
learns to keep on trying to do right. Rather than remove the book for =
this=20
phrase, perhaps we should use it to talk to our children about the times =
we feel=20
bad. It provides an excellent opportunity to teach children that life =
has ups=20
and downs but do not give up!</P>
<P>For these reasons, the professional recommendations and the overall =
storyline=20
and message, my decision is to keep the book in the collection. If you =
would=20
like to discuss this with me personally, I would be happy to meet with =
you.=20
Thank you for your interest and concerns. Remember the child who reads,=20
succeeds!</P></FONT></DIV>
<P><FONT size=3D2>Herb Wilburn<BR>hwilburn@shentel.net </FONT></P>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0006_01BF27C7.1C84BEA0--