In grad school we debated the electronic formats and databases issues.  We
came to an agreement that anything that wasn't in paper form was
"electronic" and that a database could be something "accessed alone with
proper passwords, etc." or it could also be on the Internet (such as
THOMAS--a government document-type database). (So it was ambiguous...)

I believe that "electronic" is electronic...if the power goes out, you can't
access it, right?  I don't know how your teachers have accepted the fact
that almost everything now can be accessed in either form--paper or by
"electric" means--look at college admission forms, IRS forms, library
materials.

 I believe that if they access the materials by electronic means, then they
should cite that information on their bib page.  (Another wonderful
discussion there....)  If it comes from a CD-ROM then it certainly is easier
to locate than going online to search.  If it comes from a website (is there
validity there? who's the author?  etc.,---another wonderful discussion)

We don't get caught up in the formats as much as the citing of the
information correctly.  Our students may access "electronic" formats through
computers but they also use videos, cassettes, print materials, etc. We are
unique in that even print materials may need to be accessed through a
computer--scanned and have read to a blind students...therefore, it all
becomes "electronic."  Our issue is that we cite the source!!  Utilize all
possible resources but cite correctly...Just Cite It!  (A new slogan?)

Just my thoughts...

Shonda Brisco
LMS
Oklahoma School for the Blind