Ah!  This reminds me!  I have posted, via my own home page (see sig. block
below) a thoroughly old-fashioned guide to research that depends on such
means as (gasp!) notecards.  In its current incarnation, it is titled
"Low-Tech Research in a High-Tech World."   (Shortcut is
http://members.unlimited.net/~kumbach/lowtech.pdf)  Feel free to take a
look.  It is based on workshop presentations I made long ago (in
Nineteen-mumblemumble) to graduate students, and somewhat updated since,
but I think is straightforward enough for high school students (maybe even
middle school).  (And it is completely consonant with the comments quoted
below.)  If it is of value, you are free to print, copy, give away, pass
around, or link to it (though if you do any of those things, I would like
to hear from you).  One of these days I will do an updated version for the
Internet Age.  For now, the hand-crank version is all there is.

My Web-page summary reads: "This is my quirky and aggressively
old-fashioned guide to research and writing (updated in 1997). An earlier
version of this was privately published in 1984 as Self-Directed Research
for Students and Professionals. It sold nationally, from coast to coast.
About one copy per coast ... oh, well."  That about sums it up.

;-)

Ken

--
Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D., Policy Analyst
California Research Bureau, California State Library