MMM--I did this all day with our 7's.  Certainly I think index cards for
notes works well for some kids.  I think now people often recognize
different learning styles, and what works for some doesn't work as well
for others.  A lot of teachers here also offer various graphic organizers
as
alternates to the old tried and true cards, which, if one uses one concept
percard, can be shuffled indefinitely, mixed and matched to one's heart's
content.  That's a great advantage for some kids. When I teach the big 6,
I stress under #4--use the sources--that there are many different ways to
take notes.  Some of it depends on what type of info you need; some
depends on the type of reader and learner you  are.  A lot of the learning
is about process as much as product, so learning what works for you is a
big part of the task.
I have a real problem with the "copy and highlight" method because it does
not require much mental processing. When you take notes you must read and
think about what you are reading in order to condense it and organize it,
fill out a graphic organizer and see relationships between concepts,
causes and effects etc.  None of that necessarily happens when you
highlight someone else's words.  Moreover, once you highlight someone
else's words it is MUCH harder to reformulate into your own words, because
those words are highlighted in your memory.  Better, kids should read a
paragraph, pick out the main idea and supporting details, think about how
it meets their need for info, and create their own schema to help them
remember those facts.  Then get it on paper in a way that makes sense to
them, and make sure they record the  source. Full sentences may even be
discouraged. This type of mental processing has to go on eventually, why
not right at the start of the research.  As they process the info, they
can
figure out how it helps them "fulfill the information requirements of the
problem." (part two of Big 6 #1--define the problem)
        So, I think there are lots of "right ways" to take notes.
Anything that gets the students effectively and efficiently from here to
there might be acceptable.  One teacher's favorite may be here/his
favorite because that fit her/his style as a learner, but may not make
the most sense for every student.

Maureen S. Irwin          **Any book you have not read is a new book ;)**
Middle School Librarian
Roland Park Country School
Baltimore, MD  21210
irwinm@rpcs.pvt.k12.md.us      or  msirwin@umd5.umd.edu (for listserv)