Yes, there is an archive.  Unfortunately, I have to disagree about the
archives not being hard to search.  I have used the archives many times
and usually find that my time is wasted because the answers I am looking
for are not there.  It is true that the same questions are being repeated
however the answers are not always being return in the form of a hit so
all I am finding in the archives is the question. A lot of good that does
me. And yes I have e-mailed the posters of the original questions for
their results and have either received no response or the
e-mail address is no longer valid. Also the threads are not very helpful
because normally most responses are sent outside the list.

Also the subject titles do not always provide a clue to what the message
is and so when one does a search for key words, one receives a multitude
of false hits.  I recently did a search on book care.  And out of 97 hits,
only 7 were of any use to me.  That is not a great percentage.

I realize some do not want to do the research, but to automatically assume
that they are not is not a great rule of thumb.  Plus I have been on the
listserv for about a year and the archive being available didn't hit me
until this past August. After August, I have received e-mail from members
of the list who have responded to my questions under the assumption I
haven't even made attempt after I spent hours scouring the archives.  One
response was primarily a lecture on not wasting people's time when the
work had already been done. Fortunately I chose not to respond to the
untrue accusation.

I apologize for my rambling style.  And my comments about the archives are
not to say it isn't useful but that it isn't that easy to search.  This is
not the fault of any programming but due to the fact that the entrie are
being submitted by people who are not always using a distinct vocabulary
as would a professional indexer.

Thanks for listening

Kevin Clement
MLIS graduate student