Thanks for all your ideas.  Here's what I received:

this was my first query response from searching
http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu
There were alot more. . . could be a starting point.

Searching : Loneliness Fiction (80 hits)
        An angel for Solomon Singer / story by Cynthia Rylant ; paintings by
       Peter Catalanotto 1996
    An angel for Solomon Singer / story by Cynthia Rylant ; paintings by
       Peter Catalanotto c1992
    Aren't you the one who- ...? / by Frances A. Miller 1985, c1983
    Basil, the loneliest boy / Jason Timlock ; illustrated by Brett
       Colquhoun 1990
    The best place to be / Helen Van Slyke 1976
    Betsy and Tacy go downtown. Illustrated by Lois Lenski 1961? c1943
    The big pink / Ann Pilling 1987
    The boy who could make himself disappear / by Kin Platt 1978, c1968
    Brittany Butterfield and the back-to-school blues / Wendy Corsi Staub
       c1995
    Celestial navigation 1974
lgbendt@pop.mindspring.com

books on loneliness, see THE WATCHER by Dorris (I think), also LETTERS
FROM THE INSIDE by Marsden (I think), also, FREAK THE MIGHTY, ALAN AND
NAOMI, J.T., STONES IN WATER, WHITE PEAK FARM, from Helen Dittmer,
Redwood Day School, Oakland, CA <hdittme@ix.netcom.com>

Holes -- Louis Sachar (a different twist); Asphalt Angels by Ineke Holtwijk;
Among the Hidden by Margaret Peterson Haddix; The Maze by Will Hobbs;
Kissing Doorknobs by Terry Spencer Hesser.
CReid@Campbell.k12.ky.us

to take a dare by dragonwagon
Coasting by cohen, barbara
last one home by osborne, mary
miriam by capote, truman
switching tracks by hughes, dean
all the children were sent away by garrigue, sheila

hope this helps. susan beach vaughn, west hernando ms, brooksville, fl,
usa

It's been more than 20yrs since I was in Middle School, but my English class
did a very similar unit. We analyzed the song Elinor Rigby by the Beatles
and also read _The Chosen_ by Chiam Potok.
jmoskowi@iworksys.com

Thanks again to everyone!
Susan

   Susan Fonseca                Glenwood School (K-9)
   Teacher-Librarian            51 Blenheim Avenue
   <sfonseca@mbnet.mb.ca>       Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
   Fax # (204)256-0616          R2M 0H9

   "Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never
    do any harm to the world." -Voltaire