Collegues,

I have to give a presentation on Collection Development for our district
librarians in about a week.  Our new director, a nonlibrarian, is very much
into time efficiency, so this is to be no more than 5 minutes and accompanied
by a 1 page handout.  He thinks all you need to know about anything to do
with libraries can be said in 1 page or less.

I won't have any trouble filling up my one page.  With the size of our
budgets, collection development is a moot point--  buy the awards, buy what
motivates the kids to read, replace a few treasures as they are lost and worn
out, start buying things to support the curriculum and whoosh--the money is
gone.
However,  I would like to refer them to 2-3 books and a couple of websites
for more complete information.  Can any of you recommend either?  A book you
have ordered and found helpful or a website with good, usable information.

I do seem to recall a rather elaborate system for analyzing your collection
and using retrospective bibliographies to fill in the gaps from the 80's,  It
was from David Loerscher at the University of Arkansas, I believe.  And I'm
pretty sure I have butchered that name.  I ordered a book and disk set back
then I think, but it was for the Apple IIe, and I know I pitched it during my
principal's last "get rid of the clutter" kick.  There must be something more
up to date.

I intend to check catalogs from Libraries Unlimited, Neal Schumann, ALA etc.
but I would like to have your personnal recommendations as to what would
actually be useful to schools exisiting in the real world

I tried a web search at LION last night but kept getting dead links and
time-out messages.  I'll try again from the school computers which are
faster.  I did find one useable site from Montana at
http://www.hb.wmc.edu/pub/patchwork/collection.htm/.

Bottom line is I don't want to bombard them with information. I  want to be
very selective and refer them to the best that is available.

Paula Neale, LMS
Ingels Elementary School
Kansas City, MO  64134
816-316-7855