Sorry to say yours was only the second reply.  The first advised setting =
25% of the budget aside to purchase books.  While this suggests a remedy, =
if one is needed it does not address the meassurement problem. =20

I think that the secondary library here will come out very well when we =
look at AFrican Americans, fairly well in representing sexual diversity =
and not well when it comes to hispanics and orientals.

The book "Why alre all the Black Children Sitting Together...", brought up =
another point, books that highlight persons not of the diverse group who =
help the diverse group.  Our catalog is not much help in this area, so I =
am searching the collection and trying to develop subject headings.

I find LM_NET wonderful when one wants a quick answer or opinion.  I am =
disappointed in it when deeper thought is required.

Raymond W. Barber
Director of Libraries
The William Penn Charter School
300 West School House Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19144
rbarber@penncharter.com
phone:215-844-3460 x144
fax: 215-844-5537

>>> the browns <vbpaula@erols.com> 10/29 9:46 PM >>>
Ray,
I am interested in the response you get and hope you will post a
perspective. What comes to me is that we need to think more globally
about our collections if we are truly preparing students and not just
reflecting our culture or current mix. Even on the internet we are
attuned to more American searches than perhaps reflect availability of
information but I don't know this for sure. I do know that fluently
speaking one language poses its own limits. Foreign language teachers
can encourage searches in other languages on the net, but seldom would
we try otherwise.  What is out there to translate a catalogue? How many
schools have multilanguage catalogs at the K-12 level. Thanks for
suggesting more questions as I look at collection development at my new
school. I look forward to your response.
Paula Brown, Librarian
CFS The School at Church Farms
pbrown@cfs.pvt.k12.pa.us=20