Hello everyone,
Last school year, I left a very good school library position
(K-5 school, full time, flex schedule) to spend more time
with my kids.
This year, I have accepted a part time job (2 days a week)
teaching classes to grades 3 and 4 on a fixed schedule. The
situation as it stands right  now is not ideal but when they
hired me they liked my flex schedule experience and
indicated it was something they want to start doing slowly.
I would also increase my hours at the school slowly so I
think it will turn into a much better situation. My problem
is: I am so used to the flex schedule and teaching classes
relating to the classroom lessons, I now feel lost trying to
figure out what I am going to do with these students 45
minutes a week for the next 30 weeks or so. I am hoping some
people who are experiencing a flex schedule can help me.
What library skills do you cover with each grade? Do you do
read alouds and does that work well if you only see the
students once a week?  Do you teach library skills every
week or every other week? Any help or advice would be
appreciated- this is a whole new world for me!!
Thanks so much,
Ann Marie Creegan
LMS Brooklyn Elementary School
Brooklyn, CT