Here's why I want to use a blocking software in my library:

* To prevent students from accessing Web-based e-mail
  and chat groups.

I'm fundamentally against the use of blocking software, and so is my head
librarian.  I don't like the idea of a software automatically blocking what it
deems as inappropriate.  We've probably all heard about the breast-cancer example
by now.  I don't like it when good stuff gets blocked out right along with
inappropriate stuff.  Anyway. . .

Stuff like Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, chat groups, etc. is our biggest problem -- not
porn.  Our district has a stated policy against students using the aforementioned
types of things as well as participating in newsgroups and filling out electronic
feedback forms.  Thus, I simply want to block out stuff that I specify.  In other
words, I will disable the filter's automatic category filtering mechanism and type
in addresses that I want blocked.

When used in conjunction with our handy-dandy Mac Network Assistant monitoring
software and our warning default Web page viewable at
<http://www.enteract.com/~gancarz/homework.htm>, the blocking of specified sites
doesn't seem like such a bad idea to me.  I have no intentions of blocking specific
porn or other inappropriate sites since that's a losing battle.  We're content to
keep our students on their toes with Network Assistant when it comes to porn and
other inappropriate stuff.  If we catch someone in the act of looking at something
clearly inappropriate while we are monitoring from another machine in the library,
we remotely lock his/her machine, take a snapshot of the page, print it out, and go
from there in disciplining the student.

I'd rather have a blocking software do the work of preventing students from getting
to Web e-mail and chat groups when we're not able to supervise the computers.  We
often have more important things to attend to in the library while still trying to
ensure that our Internet homework computers are being used for the reason we
intended.  We do have three stations set aside for browsing, and they have their
own default warning Web page viewable at
<http://www.enteract.com/~gancarz/browser.htm>.  I've been testing Cyber Patrol
lately, and it seems to do the job.  We haven't purchased it yet, but if you think
you might be interested in it, just set your browser to
<http://www.cyberpatrol.com>.

Gabe :-)
GABE GANCARZ, Assistant Librarian
Glenbard East High School
Lombard, IL
gabe@edmail.com

Lightspan Ed-Mail: The free e-mail solution for your school and community.
Join today at http://www.edmail.com.