Thought I'd share the Harry Potter unit I'm doing with sixth grade.  I gave
a little book talk first (with my Scholastic Harry Potter Screensaver in the
background) and told them about Harry's scar.  The scar is the real essence
of Harry.  He is powerful.  My art teacher drew a simple face in a U shape.
The kids had to take markers and draw their scar, their inner essence and
strength, on their U-shaped face.  Then they could draw on hair or whatever
(nose rings, imagine that!)  They LOVED it!  I promised not to paste them on
a wall anywhere, so I think I'll keep them and give them to them when they
graduate!  Amazingly, the preppy kids had the most trouble finding one
strength.  I concluded by reading the passage where the wizard explains that
Harry has to bear his scar since that's what denines him.

Next week we're going to extend this self-esteem approach by drawing an
analogy from Harry and his friends to 6th graders and their kids.

Then we'll extend it beyond that to "the forces beyond us."  Better first
finish the book to see what I'll use to tie that in other than Harry is
linking with the power.  In my conservative community that will give me the
out to mention God or allow the kids to think of the goodness of mankind or
whatever.

I like it so well I thought I'd share it with you all.

Laura Mason, Librarian/Grant Coordinator
Shelby County C-1 Schools
3071 Highway 15
Shelbyville, Mo.  63469-2225
lmason@nshelby.k12.mo.us