Gordon,

I address this to you personally, but want it posted to the list, please,
Peter...

I am very much against censorship and I firmly believe in First Amendment
rights; however, the issue to which you refer was handled by Peter in an
appropriate manner. You have made many generalizations about him personally,
and listservs in general, which I feel need to be addressed:

<<As a previous critic of the moderator, I was promptly censored for arguing
that the issue was an important topic for discussion.  Peter Milbury, whose
sole qualification for holding the important post of moderator is that he
started the dang thing before most of us had email, insisted that he was
justified in banning me "due to the
continued postings on Dr. L. which were not on target.>>

While I do not know the particulars of your situation, I have been a member
of this listserv for eight years. In that time, I have seen discussions of
great merit, and have participated in many. However, there are often
discussions which continue for days upon end, with no real conclusion. The
"Dr. Laura" issue was one. While everyone has a right to state his/her
opinion, it is the DUTY of the moderator to monitor the postings and to keep
the flow of the listserv relevant. I, for one, tired very quickly of
discussions such as this, as there really is NO solution---reminds one of
endless political or religious diatribes: everyone has an opinion and there
is never agreement.

A listserv exists for one reason: because someone has taken the time and care
to establish it. It continues because someone continues to take the time to
moderate and maintain it. There are a great many "DAILY behind the scenes"
issues which need to be handle while working with a listserv, and it is to
Peter's credit that while holding down a fulltime job, he has done such an
outstanding job with LM_Net.

To say that this is NOT his listserv is ludicrous...it IS...he established
it, he runs it...he maintains it...Now, does he have help from other caring
members?  Of course...BUT, when a letter such as yours is addressed the to
entire group, it is to his CREDIT that he posted it without comment--as it
appears to be directed to him personally. If he had wished to censure your
posting, albeit NOT post it, there would be no reason for me to respond.

I am certain that Peter needs no one to jump to his defense, nor would he
wish us to begin a long-winded discussion on the merits of hosting a
listserv. I am certain that you have the initial "Welcome to the LM_Net"
letter from Peter in which states that this IS a moderated listserv...and, I
for one, am glad Peter takes the time to do so.

Gordon, listservs need to be of value to their members. No one forces anyone
to subscribe, nor does anyone force anyone to remain. You have the right to
express your opinion, as do I...as to others on the list...

I do not see the role of the moderator as being a watchdog, but more as
someone who keeps the discussions moving. Give Peter a break...He receives no
compensation for this and could just as easily close it down...THEN you would
KNOW whose listserv it was... ;-)

I, for one, want to thank Peter and all of his volunteers, for keeping things
relevant and interesting...As to the Dr. Laura issue, "don't sing to the
choir" here on LM_Net--WRITE to those Congressmen who will vote ON the issues
she raises...lobby...do what it takes to bring your opinion to someone who
will DO something about it. Express your opinion, true, but if you want
action, remember even ONE voice DOES make a difference.

Jane
Jane Coffey
Founder/President
The Read In!