I have only 5 computers with 'Net access in the library (every classroom doe=
s=20
have one (occasionally-working) connection), so I've set the following polic=
y=20
in order to a) maintain my sanity, b) force teachers to work WITH me on=20
research assignments, c) reinforce the value of collaboration:=20
=20
1.  If a class is coming in to do research, I set up a webpage in advance=20
with links to selected websites for them to use.   For this reason, teachers=20
must schedule library time at least 3 days in advance if they expect to be=20
using any online resources.  I do NOT allow surfing. The kids can do that at=20
home. I've taken the *professional* responsibility of finding the best sites=20
for them to use for this project, and that's what they will use while in the=20
library.   It's the difference between a library and a bookstore: the=20
collection in a library has been *selected* by a professional, as the best=20
examples of what's available. A bookstore stocks whatever will sell, not=20
necessarily the best or most useful on a topic.=20
2.  If an individual student comes to the library to go on the Web, they mus=
t=20
first tell me what they're looking for, where --in print sources-- they've=20
already looked, and how they plan to search for what they need. If they=20
can't/don't want to tell me that, no computer use. =20
 Am I restrictive? Yeah. Does it work? Yeah, especially since most of these=20
kids can do their surfing at home, with no-one watching.   What about=20
teaching search strategies, you ask:  some of it is taught in the 6th grade=20
computer skills classroom, some of it is taught in conjunction with=20
library/research projects.  But with limited time in the library, and limite=
d=20
#'s of computers available in the library, I've found that setting up the=20
Project-specific links has been most effective, both for keeping kids on=20
target during their research, and for making that point that a good libraria=
n=20
is a necessary guide through the Information Jungle out there!

Alice H. Yucht, aka Alice in InfoLand
Heritage Middle School, Livingston, NJ
Aliceinfo@aol.com (home)     hmslibrary@home.com (work)
http://www.aliceinfo.org (personal)   http://members.home.net/hmslibrary=20