 Dear Fellow LM_Netters,

I guess you could say I am a semi-lurker.  In the four years I have been
part of LM_Net, I have posted a few queries. (my latest was about Netscape
3.0.  thanks to all those you gave me solutions.  I'm still not back up but
will have more time this weekend to reset preferences or reinstall) and
responded to some also.  I first learned about LM_NET as part of my MLS
course work. We were to monitor a listserv for a month and write a reaction
paper.  I remember one of my first observations was how much fun it was to
read the signatures and find out where people were from.  I still enjoy
this part and especially liked the unlurking postings from New Zealand and
Australia.

A bit about myself and position...K-5 school in a mid-size metropolitan
area with approx. 450 students; significant percent in the special
education category, and 98% minority. I love my job as it provides the
opportunity to teach children and adults. My administrator is very
supportive and allows me to do what I need to do. I am also the tech person
and while that part moves faster than I do, your expertise has helped me
out many times.

I have two requests of the collective experience out there.  Many times
recommended titles are requested and while I enjoy the selections, I find
them wanting in the area of  minority main characters, authors, and
illustrators.  I have found two sources (CCBC and AALBC) that have lists
targeting this population but would really like some personal
recommendations and ways you have used the books. My students need to see
themselves in more books. I buy all titles I come across but still feel as
though it is not enough. I had an eye opening experience last year that has
made me well aware of entrenched ideas even in young children.

And my second request is personal.  If Nadine Abrahamson in the Denver area
is lurking out there please email me.  I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for all the wonderful words and ideas that are generated through
this list.  It is a true treasure.

Chris Vollmer                           Milwaukee, WI
Browning School,LMS                     vollmeca@mail.milwaukee.k12.wi.us