ubject: Experiment in two way communications (fwd)
I am in the process of purchasing 7 inkjet printers for my school.  5
will be attached to all-in-one G3's with serial ports.  2 will be
attached to iMac's.  I am trying to decide between the Epson 740 and the
HP Deskjet 812C.  With the HP, I would have to buy the PowerPrint serial
to parallel adaptor.  Any suggestions?

Barb Schacht
Pershing School Librarian
West Milwaukee, WI 53214
email: bschacht@execpc.com

Hi,
I am posting this message on both AASLForum and LM_NET in an effort to
reach the maximum number of AASL members.  If you are interested in
participating in this type of communications activity please consider
subscribing to AASLforum for future topics.

Ellen

Hi,
        As I mentioned during the AASL membership meeting in New Orleans
one thing I hope to accomplish during my year as president is to encourage
meaningful communications between individual members and elected leaders.
I shared with the board, during their orientation session, an approach to
decision making that is built on four Knowledge bases.    The four are: 1)
foresight about the future of the profession, 2) sensitivity to member views,
3) insight into the resources of the association, and 4) considerations of
ethical issues.
        I want to explore the potential of listserv communications as a
means of gathering member views.  It is my intent to  regularly post an
issue and analyze the feedback to help build a knowledge base identifying
members  perceived values, wants and needs.  Our knowledge base will only
be accurate if a cross  section of members share their opinions.  Now that
everyone is back to school lets give this plan a try.

Topic for your reactions:  AASL/AECT joint co-sponsored summer event

Background for this idea:  As part of the Information Power Implementation
Plan, AASL expects to hold a third summer training institute for state
coordinators. AECT traditionally holds a Summer Leadership Institute. These two
events tend  to be held at about the same time and for about the same number of
days. It occurred to me that there could be financial benefits to both
associations if we joined forces in that we could bargain for better rates
based on size of total group.  Neither association would be subsidizing each
others program. Program sessions could be designed to meet the independent
needs of each association while allowing for some types of total group
activities.  While I am aware of the recent controversy, the two associations
do have a long history of  collaboration.  A meeting of this sort could serve
as a first step toward reassessing the future of our professional relationship.
What are your thoughts about considering such a plan of action????

(Start thinking about what you like and think could be improved about our
AASL publications.  Next topic for your reactions.)

Ellen Jay
AASL president
mejay@umd5.umd.edu