I had some responses to my request for suggestions about cataloguing my
collection of school yearbooks. Thanks to all who responded. I called the
local public library, too, and was told that they use 373.797. That's what I
decided to go with. They are going to be barcoded. Students will be required
to have the barcode scanned, so I know who has the book, although they will
not  be allowed to take them out of the library. Here are the other
requests for a HIT).

 I do catalog our yearbook.  I can't find a way to copy the record to
show you, but I use the call number 371.8 and give it the subject
heading <School yearbooks>.  An entry goes something like:
Cleoma / Cleveland High School (Cleveland, Okla.). -- 1996, v. 57. with
publishing info., physical description, etc.
   I keep them on reserve, put away in a cabinet to save them for
posterity.  They are available for use in the library on request, and
people do ask for them.  As people have not returned some school
history-type items I've loaned in the past, the yearbooks (and old
school papers) may only be used in the building.

We keep ours in separate sealed boxes
and discourage their use
and the knowledge that we even have them.
I have a shelflist card only--
no other cataloging etc.

Yes, we catalogue our yearbooks.  371.8 - school organization and
management - student, since it's about school and is put together by
a class of students.

I do barcode my yearbooks and give them the call number 920 and cutter
letters for the first 3 letters of that particular yearbook's title.
Have a good week.

Because of the high rate of vandalism and picture-cutting, we do not
catalog yearbooks for the general collection.  They are kept behind the
desk and treated like a reserve book:  student trades ID for in-library
use of yearbook.

Yes, I do barcode and catalog my yearbooks ...  I figured that I should
have that information (cost, etc.) in the system in case something were to
ever happen to them.  I catalog them under 050.

Cathy Belben, Librarian  cbelben@be.wednet.edu
Burlington-Edison High School
301 N. Burlington Blvd.
Burlington, WA  98233
(360) 757-4074 ext. 3128
"The more you read, the more you things you will know. The more that you
learn, the more places you'll go."  -Dr. Seuss