Hello All,

        The following is the responses I got to my question about
unsupervised open hours in the library.  Many of you requested I post this,
some of you requested I not include your responses.

        Those who have requested me not to post - reported problems (theft,
vandalism) or situations in which they wanted their library closed but were
not receiving administrative support.

        Others' responses are below, though out of consideration for those
who may not have thought of it, I have eliminated names / addresses.

Thank you to all who replied. My own battle wages.
Su
Su Epstein, Ph.D.
Director of Library Services
Greens Farms Academy
Greens Farms, CT
Sue@gfacademy.org

Hi Su.
I'm in an open concept building, so no walls around the library itself.
Summer school has used stuff in the past, but I'm not here to help
supervise.  It's a nightmare during passing periods with kids wandering
around the bookshelves, and lots of stuff gets damaged and stolen.  Not sure
whose idea it was to make a library like this!
My biggest concern is no insurance coverage for the 7 computers on the
library floor.  6 are internet accessible, so I had the corporation
technicians put them all on a timer---the internet is only available between
8:00 and 3:00 Monday through Friday.  I'll have them shut it off completely
when I'm finished in mid June, then put it back in August when I come back.
We've never had any liability issues here other than the discussion of what
to do if computers are stolen, since they aren't locked in a room within the
building.  My office area is locked behind walls, so TV's, other AV
equipment, and my office computer are locked when I'm not here.
I would be interested in what others have to say, as this could add
ammunition to my list of why they should invest in walls for the library!
One other downfall of no walls---now with internet, there is no possible way
for a lunch break, as I'm a solo act!

***

We have non-supervised hours.  The teachers are responsible for their
students in my absence.  Of course, this means no one uses the library.  No
students are expected to be in there without the teacher.

***
Su,
The library is open to teachers when I'm not there, but I'm usually
there longer than they are.  We are not open to students unless a
teacher (which may be me) is present.  If I'm away for a day, I put up
signs that say "no students unless accompanied by a teacher."   This
works pretty well.  The library is not locked, as the copier is in it.
I think it is the School Board's firm policy that all students must be
supervised all the time--in the cafeteria, in the classroom, on the
playground, and even in the library.

***

I do!  What a mess I walk into every Monday morning.  I have a .6 contract
which means I work 3 days a week.  Because we are an open magnet we have an
open philosophy towards the library.  I have a 4/5 class that has a door
that connects directly to the library.  I am sure it is that class that is
responsible for the "trashing of it".  I shudder to think of the amount of
library books that walk out on Thursdays and Fridays.  I can not complain
too much or I risk my allocation being cut.  Please do not post my comments,
as people from USD 259 might view my comments negatively.  I would be
interested in what others have to say about this matter.

***
Absolutely not! What a way to lose 3/4 of your books and have your
equipment either stolen or ruined! We have deadbolt locks and the only
ones with keys are the librarians and our assistant and the principals.
Not even the custodians have a key. They have to clean before we leave.

***

I have 4 school libraries and one of them has a
secretary that is there only every other week.  The
school library is only available for classes when she
is there.  Our district has the policy that the
library must remain open every day, that only means
that the door is not locked.  This is not a great
situation.  We ask that the teachers sign the book
cards and/or video cards and leave them in a box on
the counter.  Wellll, that only happens occasionally.
Some teachers are great, but then there are others.
We have lost alot of videos mostly.  The librarian
that was there before me, just decided not to buy any
more videos.  I haven't done that, but I just don't
know what the answer is.  It is interesting to me that
in Ohio our 4th grade must pass a proficiency test and
be able to read or they will not be promoted.  Our
system does not, however, equate reading with library
and make no provisions for staffing.   Sorry to be so
lengthy, but it a real sore spot with me.  I will be
looking forward to other responses.

***

I have two buildings.  The problem when the elementary library is open
after hours is popcorn.  Popcorn all over the carpeting.  It can be
swept up.  In the high school building so many teachers have p.e. master
keys.  A p.e. master key is really a building master key and the problem
in that building has never been liability, it has been theft.  Theft of
supplies like scissors, pens, pencils, video tapes, cassette tapes, etc.

***

NO WAY!
Michele

***

Su - I work half-time in a library that is open
full-time.  I don't come and go like the rest of the
staff, so often there are kids in here when I arrive,
and when I leave.  I have a real problem with theft,
because when I leave, the circulation computer is
turned off.  I do have a notebook right next to the
computer for the kids and staff to write their name
and the barcode #s of the books they check out, but
apparently not everyone at my school is trainable, and
that includes staff. When I do inventory at the end of
the year the losses are amazing - but even though I
bring it up every year during my end-of-the-year
checkout, nothing is done.  My superintendent seems to
think that as long as the secretary can look into the
library every once in a while, there isn't a problem.
So far no one has been physically hurt while
unsupervised in the library, but it's probably only a
matter of time.  I guess I've finally taken the
attitude that that's just the way it is, and that I am
the person who cares the most about the library.  If
someone would wake up and look at the $$s walking out
the door, I would be happy.  The unsupervised time is
the most frustrating aspect of my job, and since the
state of Washington deems that a half-time position is
what is needed for our student population, I won't be
working here full time any time soon.
***

Hi...please post a hit...that is something that always concerns me.  I got
into trouble once for sending the principal a note stating that I could
not be held responsible for unsupervised students sent to the library when
I am not there( I am not permitted to shut the door or the lights when I
am not available). For a period of several weeks, a teacher sent a couple
girls to work in the library with the principal's permission overruling my
mild "objections". One afternoon, the principal pulled the fire alarm
while the girls were alone.  The girls were very panicky when they left
the library, the principal had forgotten that they were there, and the
teacher was off campus at the time.  If it hadn't been a drill, there
could have been real repercussions for all concerned.  I sent my letter,
got in trouble, but the girls were not permitted to come back again.  But
it still is a problem with teachers sending students especially during my
lunch break to exchange books (I am the only staff there)

***
Su,

Keeping the library open unsupervised is just begging for theft and
vandalism.  You might just as well put up a sign saying "come steal and
destroy!"  Of course, if your collection is sadly out of date, that may not
be all bad, but they probably wouldn't want those.

Maybe you could have a volunteer to be in charge at these times or maybe an
aide could come early/leave early or come late/leave late, depending on when
it needs to be open.

I would almost be willing to bet money (if I had any) that this idea did not
originate with a librarian.

Good luck!

***

Su,
I'm interested in what other have to say.  When I leave I cannot lock any of
the doors.  I am in a 1970's "open concept" school with 4 hallway doors and
8 classroom doors all opening into the library.  I know that kids and adults
wander in and out and take whatever they want when I'm not here.  When I
talked to the principal about this situation he said it was just they design
of the school and there was nothing to do about it.

I do shut off the electric breaker for the computers when I leave.  I don't
know how much longer I'll be allowed to do that, though.

***

Hi Su!  I work in a small academic library in Southern Vermont, and we
have a 24/7 honor system here in our library.  We are staffed from
8:30-4:30 Monday - Friday, so students are given free reign all night and
all weekend.  Because this is a fairly mature community, this works pretty
well, but we do find books missing occasionally.  As for liability, we
haven't yet had any "incidents" here, so I don't think that the
administration has given it much thought.  We do lock the building for
off-hours during breaks, but students are still welcome to come in and use
it during the day.  It is a fairly unique system, and I think it works for
us, firstly because we are so small, only 300 students and 100 or so
faculty and staff, and secondly because we are so remote.  We are nestled
in the hills in a very small town, so very few "outsiders" know about us,
in some ways this works to our advantage.(There are rumors that we were
listed in a bikers magazine back int he 60's or 70's as a nice, free place
to spend the night, but this has never been confirmed by any
authority!).  Hope this helps.

****

Our library is open all day.  When no one is in the library the students go
back to class and come back later.  The staff can go ahead and check out
what they need.  They leave it stacked on the check out desk with their name
on it and we check it out when we get there.  We have had no problems with
liability.

****

I wonder if the law is different for public and private schools?   I
believed it to be the law in CT to have adult coverage (certified) at all
times.  I also carried insurance coverage against legal action regarding
negligence
on my part.  That was with ASCD I believe.  Maybe PDK membership.

***
Hi, Su:

Our school has an "open" construction.  As such, our library has NO WALLS.
The library may be browsed by anyone who is in the building, at any time.

I leave the computer terminals that have the catalog on when I leave at
3:30.  The evening custodian shuts them down when he goes home at 8 or 8:30.

We use an after-hours sign-out sheet.  Patrons have to record their first
and last names, book title, and the barcode number.  I enter this
information into the computer when I return in the morning.  It's an honor
system and, thus far, it's working reasonably well.  The instructions are
posted periodically in the staff and school newsletters, in the library,
and on the sign-out sheet.

This system works here because our school is so small and I personally know
all staff and students.  Would I allow after-hours access at, for example,
any of the schools that I attended in NYC?  NO WAY!