Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for information about =
being open during the summer. At this time, we're waiting to see what kind =
of funding is available to determine how much we'll be open during the =
summer.

****************************
Our school has summer school for 6 weeks, and I am paid=20
seperately for running the summer school library program (My=20
position is 10 month).   The head librarian is a 11 month position,=20
and he comes in to work on his own schedule seperate from=20
summer school.

*****************************
We have lthe library open during the summer and run a summer reading
program.  This is because there is no library in our city for the students
to go to.  The summer reading program is much like the one at the public
library.  Our schedule runs from 9:00 - 1:00 Monday through Thursday.  =
Each
hour is for a different project.  The first and last hour is just =
browsing,
check-outs, etc. While the middle two hours are storytelling, booktalks,
crafts, activities, etc.  We only are open for seven weeks, not the entire
summer.  My aide also works at this time so I can have extra help.  Let me
know if I can help you any more.

**************************************
My private school runs a summer camp during the summer, but since we have =
many kids that come who are not regular students (and thus not in our
computer database), it's harder to keep track of who's got what. We are =
open mornings only (8-12) to support the staff who are teaching classes, =
but we do have a "Summer Paperback" collection which circulates to =
students during that time. We will do storytimes (preferably to two or =
more classes at the same time) if a librarian is around.

This year, however, will be interesting, because we will be moving from =
one
location to a larger space 1/2 way across campus during the summer. So =
we're not quite sure yet what services will be available to everyone at =
any given time!
***********************************
I have summer programs running at 9 of my 11 libraries.  This year we have =
a math emphasis.  THe library is open six hours a week.  There is one =
story=20
hour that includes a craft based on a math concept and the rest of the =
time=20
is for reading and check out.  I offer a reading incentive program.  I=20
oversee this with aides in the schools.  We use Title 1 funding and =
SUmmer=20
Migrant ed funding for this,.
***************************************
I am considered a 12-month employee, and the library is open 9-12 during =
the summer.  We really don't get that much use, but some students do come =
to check out books, or complete their on-line driver's ed courses.  I =
think
that it has its pros and cons.  While there is certainly enough work to =
keep
you busy all summer, you are tired after a long school year, and taking
summer courses can become more difficult (which is why I limit the number =
of hours).  You do get to see a side of students you may not see during =
the
school year, and be able to suggest books for fun (which does not happen =
too often during our school year).  It is also nice to have some of those =
loose
ends tied up.   =20
*******************************
We're open 5 days after regular schedule is done--
for just purposes you mention:
inventories and orders and closing up.
We get some business from beginning of Driver Ed programs.
No thought of hours throughout Summer.
********************************

Not exactly the same, but we have summer school during June, and I have
both the elementary and secondary libraries open then. Since I'm normally =
10-month contract, this in effect makes me 11 month. I am normally the
librarian for 7-12, and we have another full-time librarian for k-6, but
she teaches preschool during the summer, so I take both. We have the
elementary library open 3 days a week, and the secondary one open 2 days a =
week for the four weeks of summer school. Loads of fun!

Everything is pretty much closed here during July, since that is when
maintenance rewaxes the floors, etc. When I can get to the mailroom and =
the library, I come in and take care of the mail two or three times per =
week.
Sometimes other teachers are around then, too, but usually the place is
pretty much deserted during July.

**********************************

In my k-8 school, the library has been open during the summer while summer
school is in session (6 weeks, 4 days a week)--during summer school hours =
and for a couple of hours beyond.  We do circulate books.
  Some days we serve like a baby-sitting service.  For 4 years, the other
librarian and I split the time, and we offered various reading programs,
including story times.  We didn't have much response.
  We use the time to finish inventory and take care of a multitude of =
things we can't accomplish during the school year.
  Summer school is only 4 weeks this year--maybe--and I don't know what =
will happen if there is no summer school.

Lee Ann Kee
Library Clerk
St. Richard's School
Indianapolis, IN