Here are more responses.

I just received permission to open the library one half-day a week during =
this summer.  We will be open 9 to 1 on Wednesday.  We will check out to =
anyone who comes, and we will have the computers on for anyone.  We will =
move a core collection from our primary, elementary and jr. high libraries =
to the high school library and set up displays.  The project will be =
staffed by me and the jr. high librarian.  It didn't seem prudent to be at =
the school by myself every Wednesday, perched on a hill next to a busy =
freeway.  Also, I didn't want to move all those books and videos by =
myself.=20
*********************************

My library is open during the summer. I have summers off and the
aide operates the library during the summer.  Our library is unique in =
that
anyone from the state of Ohio (or even the entire world, for that matter) =
is
able to borrow from us.  We ask customers to contact us ahead of time so
that we may be sure to serve them.  With only one  summer person in the
library, we have to work around lunch, vacation days off, etc.  This
generally works out well.  There is no air conditioning in the library, so
we do not have too many customers who are eager to come and spend a good
deal of time with us.  Our students are home for the summer.  We use this
time to do inventory, processing and preparation for the coming school =
year.
I hope this helps and if I can answer any other questions,  please contact
me.
******************************

We have a summer library program that's been most successful.  I don't =
know what your community is like (ours is mainly Hispanic, low SES, 80% =
free lunch etc.).  Our students who will be going into grades 4, 5 or 6 =
could walk up unaccompanied, any children younger than that MUST be =
accompanied by a parent/grandparent/responsible adult who MUST stay with =
them.  We did that so we would not become and drop in free baby-sitting =
service. Plus, when it was time to close, these older students could walk =
home alone, something the little ones couldn't do (we have a perennial =
problem with parents not picking their children up when the school day is =
over).  Our older students liked this since it gave them a break from =
baby-sitting their younger siblings!  We also limited the program to our =
students, whom we knew and whom we knew were aware of the school rules.  =
Again, we wanted to provide a quality program for our students, not become =
a gang hangout (gangs are a problem in our neighborhood).

Our kids and their parents played games, colored, wrote letters to=20
vacationing teachers, explored the computers, checked out books, read, =
took=20
AR tests and generally had a good time.  We were also a free lunch site =
so=20
they could also eat breakfast & lunch at school.

We were open from 10-2 Mon-Thurs.  Many children spent the entire time =
with us-we had AC and the atmosphere was much nicer than their hot and =
overcrowded apartments.  We didn't show any videos-our kids see far to =
much TV as it is.

We plan to offer the same program again this summer.  It is job shared=20
between another teacher and myself.

*******************************
We have no funding but we take turns and our parapro gets to
take time off for her time spent in having the media center open each
Wed. from 10-2.  This is to allow students to check out the books for
summer reading requirement and to read AR books and take test to get a
head start on getting points.  The teachers have activities for the
summer reading the first two weeks they get back.  This year we have
announced the "reading challenge" of reading one book from the summer
reading list and two from AR and then we are going to have a big get
together of all of those students who have met the challenge.  We will
make this some kind of celebration.

Another way this helps is our parapro takes care of the mail throughout
the summer and doesn't come back to have to deal with all of the
magazines and "stuff" that comes in in just a few days.  She can also
place orders for the things we have given her and things are in the
media center when students return.  Although not paid, I check in during
the summer several times anyway to get ready, learn new software and do
some planning.=20

I would quit if they wanted me to work all summer, or go back to teaching
history...

Lee Ann Kee
Library Clerk
St. Richard's School