I've done a web page for my school libraries, but I'm frustrated because I
want to know how to do some more advanced things, and I may not be ready
for it. I've used both Netscape Composer and Adobe PageMill in creating
pages in the past, and I don't know a very large amount of straight HTML,
although I can do a few little things by going into the source HTML and
tweaking here and there.

I have two big goals:
To put a searchable, sortable database feature on the page. NOT for my
library database, that's already done, and done well by Winnebago Spectrum.
This is one that I want to use for my own purposes, possibly changing the
data from time to time.

To be able to create a form that students can use to input data that is
then automatically posted on a page in a particular format. For instance, I
want to set up an easy way for students to post book reviews they've
written, but still have teacher "quality control" limits so that they can't
just post whatever they want. This would make it a lot easier for my
relatively non-techie staff to get a beginning in making and maintaining a
web page. Each teacher could "customize" his or her own front-end page for
a class, and allow students to input their writing without having to teach
them web page design. I'm planning to go on to teach them all more, but I
want them to have a nice looking, quick and easy that works to give them a
sense of accomplishment - and I'd like to be able to get them involved
right from the start of school.

I'm not expecting a personal tutorial on web design here, but some of you
web gurus out there can surely point me to some good resources for
achieving these two goals. If you've done either of these things yourself,
I'd like to hear about what software you used. I'll be working on Windows
95/98 and NT 4.0 using Netscape Communicator. I use PageMill at home on my
Mac, but I don't have it at work for Win, and Adobe doesn't produce it
anymore anyhow, since they've gone to GoLive. I can't afford to switch
right now. If I'm going to buy something, I'd rather buy a database
product, if I need to, unless there's a good reason - like a particular web
page authoring product that will do all those things above.

Gayle Hodur                             Snail Mail:
District Librarian                      Main Street Middle School
Soledad Unified School District         441 Main St.
Soledad, CA  93960                      Soledad, CA  93960
831-678-3923

Instant Messenger - UnGayle