Dear Library Collegues:
I am sorry this is so late coming.  I tried two times to send this hit.  The
first time, it was from an address at school and LM said I was not authorized
to send mail from that address.  The second time I tried to send the hit I
did not realize I had to end the mail with my name and personal information.
So here I am going to try this for the third thime.  Hope everyone out there
had a wonderful holiday.

Thank you to my many collegues out there who responded to my querry on
library obeservations.  Here are the results in, I hope, some kind of logical
order.  I did decided on doing a cultural talk on the 3 large religious
festivals of December from the 3 monotheistic religions.
Part I  Teachers
Make friends with teachers.  Discover their curriculum and offer to help in
any way with lessons where the use of the library or computers are useful.
Talk to teachers and solicit their ideas and help.  Find some web sites for
projects teachers are doing and offer specific skills to help teach research.

Part II  Adminstration
As an informal approach, invite the administration to come in and observe LMS
duties before a formal observation is conducted.  Try to have an
administration evalutation instrument that fits the activities of the LMS.
Take the opportunity to educate the adminstraion to your job and its
importance to the school.  Remind the adminstration that one on one teaching
with students is very valuable.

Part III  Ideas to teach
1.  Author talk that includes reading 1 chapter of a book and covering of
vocabulary.
2.  Work with small groups on skills that the LMS has taught previously.
3.  Round Robin trival pursuit using reference materials with a 2 min. time
limit at different stations in the library.
4.  Use the 12 days of Christmas to devolp original parodies-words have to
fit the pattern of the original piece-use other holidays for ideas.
5.  Lesson on using the card catalogue
6.  Game on finding periodicals in the library
I hope these ideas will help other LMS out there.  I thank you again for your
help.  Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson, LIbrarian
Phoenix Middle School
Delavan, Wi