Kathy, here in Texas we librarians have a fantastic resource called the "Lone Star"
list.  Every year Texas librarians put out a list of 53 books that they have
determined at the best and coolest new literature for high school students.  It is
a wonderful mix of all genres.  You can find this year's list and the previous
years' at www.txla.org.  Just click on Lone Star Books list.   The committee that
makes the list has the primary goal of choosing books the kids will read.
    Another fine source is the Best Books list put out every year by School Library
Journal in their Dec. issue.  That list is for grades K-adult, so you'll have to
focus on the the list for older kids.  They divide the list for you, however.
www.slj.com will get you this year's list.  It may also give you previous lists.
     Another best choice is the ALA list of Best Books for Young Adults that they
put out every 3 (or is it 5?) years.  You can find it a www.ala.org.  That list is
about 25 pages long and lists books ALA thinks every high school should have. It is
grouped by type like biography, poetry, science fiction, romance, etc.
    One trick I've learned that I like to use when I'm going to "beef up" just one
part of my collection is go to a vendor's site (Follett or Perma-bound work for
this).  Go to Collection Development or Advanced searching.  Then tell the site you
want a list of books reviewed by Wilson High School Catalog..  If Wilson recommeds
the book, you're buying quality.  If I want to be really choosy, I tell the site I
want books reviewed by Wilson AND ALA Booklist.  Both Wilson and Booklist do not
list materials unless they really like them.  After choosing the reviews you want
to limit the search to, put in the Dewey numbers you want to search for.  Voila!
You'll get a neat list of highly recommended titles that vendor can sell you for
that part of your collection.
---
Donna Cook, Nacogdoches, Texas :
Teacher Librarian Central High;
District Coordinator, Central ISD;
Library Consultant, Douglass ISD;
"Minister of Information" First Baptist Church.
donnacook@lycos.com
936-853-9345 (work)
936-569-2426 (home)