I would like to organize our well used Shakespeare collection
so that it is easy for our students to locate desired information.
We hope to have an automated card catalog sometime
this year, though it will take a lot of work to get our
very brief records to be user friendly for the students.
Our print card catalog is woefully out-of-date,
so using it is not terribly helpful.  So, browsing is
often the best way to locate books.

Currently, everything by and about Shakespeare (except biographies)
is cataloged as 822.3  This includes individual plays,
collections of plays and sonnets, criticisms of Shakespeare,
quotations, etc.   What this means is that all of the individual plays
are surrounded on either end of the 822.3's  by books written by
people other than Shakespeare.

I would like to see the individual plays to be arranged together,
the criticisms together, collective works together, etc., and
label the shelves so that students are able to locate info
easily by simply browsing labeled shelves

We will probably become a shared use library with
the local public library in a few years - everything they have
appears to be cataloged at 822.33.  I don't want to ignore
Dewey (I have the 19th ed) but we need to make this section
more user friendly (without a lot of headaches on our part!).

I'm sure others have encountered this or similar problems.
Your wisdom and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
TIA
Judy Cunningham
jcunning1@home.com
Library Media Teacher