Doug,
You are doing the same thing that I am doing. Examining our AUP. My answers are
embedded with the questions.
Please share answers when you have responses.
Thanks,
Vicki

Vicki K. Walker
Director of Instructional Media
Southwest Allen County Schools
Fort Wayne, IN 46814

Doug Johnson,johnsd9@MAIL.MANKATO.MSUS.EDU,Internet writes:
>Hi folks,
>
>A subcommittee of our district media advisory committee met last Thursday
>to look at revising our Internet Acceptable Use Policy
><http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/guidelines.html> and web page guidelines
><http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/webguide.html>.
>
>The following items questions were generated that we felt would need some
>reflection. I would be very interested in reactions to any or all of them!
>Some of them are genuine stumpers, I think.
>
>1. How can we be sure the staff knows about and knows the policy and
>guidelines?
There is no way - it is virtually impossible. I have spoken at faculty meetings
- I have conducted required inservice sessions - I have even asked the building
principals to have the teacher's sign an AUP like the students.  There are
still staff members who plead ignorance to the AUP.

>Do these need to be treated any differently than other policies
>and guidelines in the district? Don't teachers in signing their contracts
>agree to abide by all school policies?
YES

>Do staff and students really
>understand that their privacy is limited when using school systems  - as it
>is in the business world?
NO - I have had teachers keep extremely personal e-mail on their school
computers and then call to have their computer fixed with an e-mail problem.
The tech will open a sample e-mail and see much more than he wanted to see.

>2. How much longer can we state that Internet access is a privilege rather
>than a right? Is it possible to get a full education without Internet
>access in our district?
We have decided that the time is now. In today's society, it is no longer
appropriate for parents to sign an AUP because the Internet is an integral part
of our curricula.  We are including our AUP into the student handbooks with the
statement that if parents do NOT want their students to use Internet then they
have to let us know.

>3. Both policies and guidelines say that staff and students may not use the
>system for conducting a business. Should teachers be allowed to link to
>other pages they have that may or may not be business related on other sites?
Whereas, our AUP says that the Internet will be used for educational purposes
that meet curricular goals, I don't have the time nor the desire to police
teachers. If they commit a large enough "mistake" it will be evident and then
we will work through it because that will involve building principals.

>4. Should independent webpage creators who make pages for schools or
>departments be able to "sign" their work with links back to their webpage
>creation businesses?
Wouldn't that be part of your contract with the company that you could
negotiate? I would not want any more credit than a small line at the bottom
where the webmaster's e-mail address is.

>5. Do links to awards constitute advertising?
No - go for it - the awards are probably for school-related things aren't they?
Or maybe not. For example, I would definitely post an award that a student,
teacher, or school may have won, like the AASL Distinguished Library
Award...........BUT I wouldn't post an award that a student won in a shooting
competition outside of school.

>6. Should all webpage servers in the district be subject to the same
>guidelines as the main server?
Yes, for ease of service and consistency.

>7. How do we deal with students using the Internet that are too young to
>read and perhaps understand our policies?
We are developing a list of "reminders" that elementary teachers go over with
the students verbally before they go to Computer Lab.

Sounds like a webmaster to me ----good luck in getting one hired! :-)

>Any comment or feedback on one or more of these questions is very welcome!
>As always, I'll post a hit in a couple of weeks.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Doug
>

>Doug Johnson, Director of Media and Technology
>I.S.D. 77, Mankato Public Schools
>Box 8713, Mankato MN 56002-8713
>Voice: 507-387-7698, Fax: 507-387-2496
>E-mail: johnsd9@mail.mankato.msus.edu
>or:     djohns1@mail.isd77.k12.mn.us
>http://www.isd77.k12.mn.us/staffdir/staff2/Johnson_Doug.html
>**********************
>...eventually you realize that you are in the problem
>business, and that it's a good business to be in
>because the market never dries up.
>Dale
>Dauten

>All postings to LM_NET are protected under copyright law.
>To quit LM_NET (or set-reset NOMAIL or DIGEST), send email to:
>listserv@listserv.syr.edu   In the message write EITHER:
>1) SIGNOFF LM_NET 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL or 3) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>4) SET LM_NET MAIL  * Please allow for confirmation from Listserv.
>For LM_NET Help see: http://ericir.syr.edu/lm_net/
>Archives: http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/LM_NET.html

This message sent using the SACS FirstClass E-Mail System