Gathering the information on ZapMe was definitely a learning
experience in maintaining objectivity and being receptive to different
points of view. Such was the case with the email that I received from
Kenneth W. Umbach, Ph.D. who recommended Pamela Mendels' article,
"Criticism for Company Offering Free Computers to Schools." This is in
the NYTimes and can be viewed at: www.nytimes.com/library/tech/
00/02/cyber/education/02education.html.

Ken raises the following questions: "Does anyone (and I mean school
librarians and their management) hear comparable objections about
advertising in periodicals that are a normal and long standing part of
school libraries? You cannot browse Time, Sports Illustrated, or any
other general circulation magazine without encountering
advertising---sometimes overwhelming the content. Are the same
standards applied to print resources of that type as to such services
as ZapMe and Channel One? Does anyone recall this issue EVER being
raised with respect to periodicals?"

Other LMSs responded by answering the questions and sharing their
experiences and opinions. As with all data, you must draw your own
conclusions based on your school's and/or library's circumstances.
Below are the results.

1. Where were the computers placed? (Library or Computer Lab) : 1 -
lab connected to the library; 4 - library; 1 - Reference Section of
the library; 1 - some schools in a large school district opted for
classrooms and some for libraries.

2. What was the length of time to setup the 15 computers? Were there
any problems? : "Took 6 months to have them set up after they
arrived." (B. Anderson);  "Set-up was quick ...it's the maintenance
after they're set it up; that is the problem." (J. Lyon); "For 5
computers, 1 day for satellite and 1 day for set up; no problems." (C.
Quillin); "....up and running (usually) two weeks after sitting in the
Media Center during first semester. Getting them going was very slow
and time consuming. They hire a computer technician and a satellite
technician from your area to get the computers running. They came
several times before getting the computers running." (V. Meier); "The
entire installation was very quick and professional." (D. Redlinger);
"School Board went ahead and said yes; this was in late Oct. or early
Nov. and we have heard nothing from the company since then. So, ....
the company is very slow on the delivery/set up side." (C.Solomon)
"Definitely a time factor. Ours was installed in July and we were able
to start using them in November. It was not hard for us to wait
because this is an "extra lab" located in the library. We have 9
student internet workstations already in the library and the ZapMe lab
of 15 is for classes to sign-up with teacher supervision. We could
continue to function as always while we waited for the technical
issues to be resolved." (D. Hall)

3. Must the laser printer be situated next to the computers? Can it be
placed in the Librarian's Office? How do you supervise the amount of
printing that occurs? "The printer must be directly connected to the
server so it needs to sit next to the computers." (B. Anderson) "If
you have a school-wide network, setting up the printer in the office,
should not be a problem." (J. Lyon) "We placed the printer at the end
of the row of computers." (V. Meier) "We have the printer between the
two banks of computers. We charge for paper so printing usually isn't
crazy." (D. Redlinger) "We provide free printing for curriculum-based
projects. I guess you could run a longer cord and put it far away from
the lab. We have the student who sits near the printer pass down print
jobs so people won't be getting up and down. ZapMe encourages
judicious printing because students are encouraged to paste into word
docs instead of printing whole pages from the web." (D. Hall)
--
Maureen D. Aube, LMS
mdaube@together.net