This is Part 3 on the Update on ZapMe.

9. What is your opinion on the quality of the sites which students
access? Have you recommended a site to ZapMe? Has that site been added
to their collection of sites? "You must be referring to their sites on
their home page. Somewhere you have gotten the idea that they only let
you go to sites they want you to go to. We don't have filters, and the
students can go anywhere they need to. The ZapMe system doesn't
prevent this." (C. Quillin) "We are just two weeks into this service.
We have chosen to introduce these computers by having our media center
page on the screen. From here, they can use our recommended search
engines, access the magazine database, or other sites placed on our
homage that support the assignments. We have not used their database
at all. I do not understand the criteria for their placing new sites
on. Originally, I understood that several (?) people would have to
make the same request before they would consider it." (V. Meier) "The
sites, themselves, are fine, but I feel that using ZapMe does not help
students become proficient, critical users of the Internet. They are
only accessing a very small slice of the Net and not learning how to
screen sites for quality and reliability themselves." (J. Lyon) "The
ZapMe home page is now tied into Yahoo, but they basically have the
wide open Internet so site quality depends on where the student goes."
(D. Redlinger) "Yes, my recommendations have been heeded. Their sites
are extremely helpful. Many teachers and students go to ZapMe sites
from home and other stations in the library because they are so good.
My teachers who are not Internet-wise can even find things that are
very good." (D. Hall)

10. What are the students' reactions to the advertisements? "They
either ignore them, or ask for headphones to listen to them. Those who
pay attention think they are cool ... but not enough variety.
Hopefully, they will add more advertisers in the future. Right now, it
is just Arizona jeans, and the military." (C. Quillin) "Students have
not commented on the advertisements. -a sign of the times- I do have a
problem with showering students with advertising, but I may be alone."
(V. Meier) "Overall, they ignore them." (J. Lyon)

11. Other concerns and/or experiences that you believe are important
for me to know. "ZapMe has actually given our school name and number
out to other schools so they can call and serve as a reference." (B.
Anderson) "I'd say they are great as supplements, but in no way should
you expect to replace your other computers with them." (C. Quillin) "I
will try to stay alert for Plans A, B, and C. I am concerned that
teachers will develop a lesson plan that depends on the Internet and
it won't be up. In our library, we do have the regular six T-1 line
Internet computers. Including ZapMe, we have 21 internet connections
when everything is running. That is a great number to use when working
on an assignment that is strictly Internet based. Teachers will need
Plan B and that can be frustrating as we encourage using this medium
and it suddenly does not work." (V. Meier) "We have been using the
ZapMe computers for about a year. It was a life saver for us when we
were updating our existing network and it was down or only partially
working. Overall, I'm glad we have them and the price was right." (D.
Redlinger) "I wish we had the money to do this ourselves in some ways.
But we would still have problems with technical support in our
district because we are so big. . . . . Our ZapMe lab is in a corner
that we were not using. We require that teachers, who use the lab,
receive training, stay with the classes, and have a plan. No surfing.
When the lab is down, we try to accommodate the classes in the library
as best as we can. Or the teacher goes with an alternate assignment. I
wish the lab was ready earlier. It is truly a great addition to our
school. It is still new and I am hoping that all the technical stuff
will be resolved by next school year." (D. Hall)

This concludes that information I received about ZapMe. Those who
responded came from the West Coast, Mid West and Florida. The
particularly in the areas of set up time, quality of technical support
when trouble shooting hardware and software problems, and availability
of Internet access via ZapMe computers. Many of my questions
pertaining to floppy disk drives, e-mail, online databases, quality of
sites and other concerns were answered. This information has proven to
be very helpful. It has been suggested that we visit a school in our
area which has ZapMe computers. Asking the right questions is the key
to obtaining the answers one needs.

Your input is appreciated. Should any of you wish to update me further
on this matter in the next few months, please do so. T.I.A.
--
Maureen D. Aube, LMS
Franklin High School Library